_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Does using only one paint brand bad?
tenchu11
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 07:35 PM UTC
Does only using one paint brand stunt some ones creativity? I only use tamiya because it's what my shop sells, sure I could order any brand but I like the convenience of having the paint I want/need in 20 minutes. But I see on YouTube people using Vallejo, citadel, Ak and MiG then I wonder does using Tamiya only (which although a superb paint it has extremely limited colors) would narrow ones spontaneity while painting?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 07:56 PM UTC
Javier,

"...using one paint brand stunt some ones creativity?"

No! In fact, it can enhance your creativity. Some modelers mix their own paints. If you get down to it, you really only need red, yellow, blue, black, and white. Of course, one must spend unreasonable effort to turn those into whatever specific hue you seek. And those 5 don't replicate metallics well!

I use relatively few paints and simply add variances as I go. But I use several different brands because i am lazy and don't want to mix up my own colors.

You can also create differences with washes and glazes.
bravo04tango
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 08:00 PM UTC
The real question should be, do YOU feel that your creativity is stunts by using only one brand of model paint?
I would answer your original question thus; if it works for you and your getting the results that you like and are proud of , then no it's doesnt hurt your creativity. If you find that your choice of paint leaves a particular gap in performance or accuracy , then I would definetly advise you to search or a replacement , regardless of manufacture. There are plenty of people on this and other sites that will eagerly give you advise. Never feel that b cause one or more people does something that you don't that your doing something wrong. Build for yourself.
 _GOTOTOP