_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
proposal for Operation: Island Hopping
ambrose82
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
Is there interest in a Pacific Theater Campaign? One of the beauties of it is the potential to encompass all aspects of modeling. Ships, Armor, Planes, Infantry... oh, and beautiful scenery torn to shreds by the ravages of war.

I'd propose an operation grade campaign featuring dioramas with a Pacific theme. Should include at least one water effect, realistic tropical flora/fauna and at least one WWII era figure (excluding ships due to scale problems I'll take suggestions on additional elements or restrictions, etc...

Just probing for interest at this point...
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC
I have a Italeri M4A3 Marine Shermie that I was thinking of doing a Pacific Dio. Since I just finished the Cover Up, I'm free should they decide to accept your mission.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:33 AM UTC
Count me in for a fig or two (USMC), be advised that this may not be able to be an offical campaign unitl sometime in 2005 due to new rules on campaigns. However if you can't wait, you can do it as a group build.

Market Garden and D-Day will be covered this year in campaigns, as far as I can tell, and I would strongly suggest the Pacific get some coverage in either late 2004 or 2005. In 2005 we will have the 60th annivs. of Both Iwo Jima and Okniawa.

As stated above , the nice thing about this campaign (and D-day) is that it it encompasses all fields of interest on this site....

Just my two cents
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:17 PM UTC
OOOH! OOOH! OOOH! If we make this 2005 for the 60th anniversary, COUNT ME IN!

I'm just dying to use the beach sand I have stored here for an Iwo Jima or Okinawa diorama. Now, if I can only get the plans for some landing craft, figures, and lots of sheet styrene, then I'm really in! :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just dying to use the beach sand I have stored here for an Iwo Jima or Okinawa diorama. Now, if I can only get the plans for some landing craft, figures, and lots of sheet styrene, then I'm really in!

Don't forget all the campaigns your currently in. #:-) #:-)

I'm really interested in this one. I think this may motivate me to do some of my future plans. I really love to build the Corsair and Zeros and other crafts. Just please not this first quarter of the year :-) :-) :-)
ambrose82
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC
Ok. Let's call it a group build with a WWII PTO Theme. We can break it down into a few categories or just do a no-holds-barred build out.

The basic rules for Dioramas would be along the lines of those specified in my initail post.
PTO theme
One or more armor (or substitute plane, soft skin, ship, etc...)
Water feature
Figure only dios are also ok.

Another category would include straight models (no diorama) either armor, soft skin, plane, or ship.

I propose a 4 month schedule (with school, work, and family I know I need at least that long) beginning as soon as we have a decent number of participants. Let's anticipate the build beginning in early or mid feb in order to allow some of the current campaigns and GBs to runtheir course. I have no problem acting as lead on this. PM me or respond to this post if you're interested.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:58 PM UTC
Ambrose:
Just a thought.... either make it a longer time frame or move to a little later in the year as I and several others are tied up with other stuff. I think you might get a slightly hiher finish/particiaption rate as well if you advertise a little longer. Maybe shoot for this summer. Just an Idea, your thoughts? I'll pretty much go along with whatever the decsion is....
ambrose82
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:19 PM UTC
Porkchop,

that's a great idea. pushing back a bit would certainly help me out too. Alright let's shoot for June 1 as a start date. Having not been around here long I have a question on this, is it normal/ok to advertise group builds in forums other than CCC? Is it ok to post threads for this group build in dioramas, ships, figures, and aircraft? Or is it preferred to stick to CCC and let people find us?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:06 PM UTC
If we start this year on June 1st, can we end this on May 2005? Please?
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:49 PM UTC
Count me in also but, with later timeframe. I have running 3 camps (DFA, CO, Abrams) and my time is also limited , i wish u could make this after June so that there is enough time for planning thinking supplying getting info and building and at least last 4-5 months .
Keep people informed and advertise it also would be nice .So waiting for the news
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If we start this year on June 1st, can we end this on May 2005? Please?

The start is good for me but why a year to finish??
ambrose82
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 12:51 PM UTC
Sorry fellas! I've got to bow out of this. Some unexpected commitments have arisen and I don't think I'll have the time to commit to leading a group build like this. May have to just wait until the official campaign comes along unless someone else wants to run with this.

Glad to see some support for PTO modeling out there! Best of luck!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry fellas! I've got to bow out of this. Some unexpected commitments have arisen and I don't think I'll have the time to commit to leading a group build like this. May have to just wait until the official campaign comes along unless someone else wants to run with this.

Glad to see some support for PTO modeling out there! Best of luck!

Then it's PERFECT! I mean, why not postpone this entire campaign at a later date, so YOU can join as well (after all, it was your idea).

Why not schedule this one on November 2004? As mentioned by Porkchop, the 60th anniversary dates for Iwo Jima and Okinawa will be on 2005.

We could start on November 10, 2004, which is the anniversary of the USMC as well as the dedication of that famous memorial of US Marines raising the flag. Then we could end on June 22, 2005, when the US completes the occupation of Okinawa and main resistance ends.

Alternatively, we could start on December 7, 2004, Hawaii time, then end on September 2, 2005, Tokyo time, the day Japan's Foreign Minister Shigemutsu signed the instrument of surrender on the USS Missouri.

Let's make this one a diorama campaign as well. After all, in both start and end date proposals, that's nearly a year to complete a diorama. It can either be as simple as one wants to be or as complex as one wants it. Let's keep the rules simple so that even newbies to dioramas can join in. The idea is that this campaign is dedicated to those who fought at the PTO.

Ideas? Comments?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's make this one a diorama campaign as well. After all, in both start and end date proposals, that's nearly a year to complete a diorama. It can either be as simple as one wants to be or as complex as one wants it. Let's keep the rules simple so that even newbies to dioramas can join in. The idea is that this campaign is dedicated to those who fought at the PTO.

Ideas? Comments?

Diorama is good but I wish a diorama could be as simple as a base with a nameplate on it. That way, some won't be using too much space in storing them
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:28 PM UTC
GIB:
I agree with your suggestion about starting in Novemeber or December. Frankly I like the 12/7/04 -9/2/05 idea. I'll see about pitching this as an actual campaign. I agree that Ambrose should be part of this and I'd love to have him lead it. However if he can't I'm more than willing to take the lead (and I'll volunteer my services as XO if Ambrose can lead it).

I would suggest we leave it open to all areas of this site (not just dios) as it will allow ship, plane, armor, and figure guys to drop in as well.

Plastic Battle has the great idea od adding X-factors to these projects (an item that needs to be there). That could be a fun element to add to this. My suggestion would be that wahtever you produce it needs to contain one item from an opposing force (say for a USMC tank a war souviner or other item could be included on the hull). For planes and ships this may raise some issues (maybe kill markings could count?)... I'd like to hear from those guys.

I'd like to hear your thoughts....
ambrose82
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 03:59 AM UTC
A delay would certainly help me be involved. My current time commitments make it difficult to start anything sooner. So the 12-04 date should be fine (gives us a few items for Christmas lists as well! #:-) . If we can delay the campaign until late this year I could lead it, but I'm just as happy as a participant. I prefer to leave the campaign open to all areas of the site, allowing any member to create a tribute in their own way. X-factors could be an element of some campaigns, or the X-factor's could be different for each campaign.

I like the war souvenier idea. I'd also like to use the campaign as an opportunity to learn new techniques, like water effects and such. Maybe the X-factor for each campaign could be as simple as requiring a "special effect" like fire, an explosion, a water effect, or similar unconventional element.

It'd be great to get this type of full participation/ cross-over campaign as an official one.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 04:39 AM UTC
Ambrose:
Ok, I agree with your post and would love you to lead it (I'll help out). I like the idea of a special effect as ship guys can do water, aircraft can do fire etc. I think that's a much broader base for people to work with.
Now my question would be how do find out if there's interest in this concept? Do we post it somewhere. I'd like to see if people want to do in campaign form this before we make the offical pitch. It can always be a group build if nothing else....
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 03:29 PM UTC
I like the idea of an X-factor. Would be a challenge for people, to make this campaign stand-out a bit.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 03:37 PM UTC
Now, how do we drum up interest in this idea..... It looks we have 4-5 people here.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 07:35 PM UTC
I'm sure there's interest in this campaign. Problem is that no one can give a committed "yes" because they've got a lot on their plate already (what with all the campaigns) as well as the proposed late start of this campaign. Come September or October, I'm sure people will start posting here giving their "ayes."
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 02:30 AM UTC
I must agree with GI. As with me, I have campaigns running by and a hell of study for this term.
 _GOTOTOP