_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Dio Bases
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi guys

I have read that some are using picture frames for dio bases. How is this done ? is the glass removed ? If not then how well does the glass hold the dio ? Lastly is something done to the glass to help it hold the ground work ?

Thanks in advance
Wolfsix
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hey wolfsix ... you really need to take a read at this site ..... Docs Dios . Great site with explanations and pictures on how to build a diorama. Shows how to use the picture frame and how to build it up aswell. Worth bookmarking.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hey wolfsix-

I used picture frames for my Cover Up and RMG dios.... really easy..

I cut an old piece of ceiling tile to fit inside the frame, then used floor tile glue (bathroom kind) to glue the piece of ceiling tile directly to the glass. Then I built my ground work on that.

Make sure you mask off the frame before you glue the ceiling tile down, and you should be OK...

Picture:

HTH-
Nelson
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:49 PM UTC
Hi guys

Thanks for the info. PlasticBattle, I read the site you posted and have a question, Should I replace the glass? The reason why I want to use a picture frame is that my wood working skills are not that great. Is it ok to glue somthing on the glass, if so what ? I'm sorry for all questions but this is a real big help.

Thanks again
Wolfsix
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
A picture frame works great to make a still water dio, esp if you want to see below the waterline. I used this technique for my NAVY SEALs in Desert storm dio below.

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:34 PM UTC
WOW heavy arty thats one awsume dio!!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hey wolfsix .... I use the glass all the time! Keiths reason for not using the glass is in case it falls, the glass may shatter. If mines fell, the last thing Id worry about is the glass.
What I usually do to fill up the gap from glass to frame level, is use the styrene foam trays that fresh meat comes in. I cut out the flat bottoms and stick it in place with hot glue.... but glue along the sides to the timber as nothing sticks to glass to well. You could use white glue as well but it takes a day or so to dry. The styrene is easily cut with a knife to fit exactly. Then I plaster over the top or use height as keith used! This foam is very light so its perfect. Some dont bother and set their dio down on the glass ... I personally like a little height... even if its flat!
 _GOTOTOP