_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Vallejo US army Olive drab
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:55 AM UTC
I was thinking about ordering the Vallejo US army Olive drab set to paint my sherman,but before I do is the set any good.

Could you tell me the pros and cons please.

Thanks
Karl
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 12:20 PM UTC
If this is the WW2 Allied Set which has the cam olive green panzer series model color then it is a good start for the sherman. This is the set I used for the sherman as well. The thing is that I used the cam olive green which is a bit brighter. This is perfect if you plan to do a bit of filters after the base coat. The USA Olive drab in the set seems a bit off for a sherman. The cam olive green is closer to the tamiya XF-58 olive green.

Bottomline, there are plenty of bright and dark shades in the kit which you can mix to get the color that you want. It also has a gunmetal color in the set that is good for mixing track paints and the 50 cal
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:07 PM UTC
Thanks for your reply.

I'm torn between the Vallejo set or AK interactive set.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:13 PM UTC
I use Vallejo Air Olive Drab to paint my vehicles, and use Dark brown and yellows to mix to apply shadows and highlight. I am happy with the color.

A discussion at our local AMPS meeting last week has led me to believe that once a vehicle leaves the factory with factory paint there is no actual correct shade of paint. This is due to environment fading, theater dust colors, etc. And this kinds of makes sense.

_GOTOTOP