_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
24th Panzer Division Unit Logo Color
stevedb227
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 02:55 AM UTC
I am putting together two vehicles from the 24th Pz.Div. at Stalingrad, a Panzer IIIJ and a Sd.Kfz.7/1. In the kit decals as well as the Echelon decal set for the Division the 'Leaping Horse' logo is included in both yellow and white.

Am I right in assuming that no one is sure historically which color was correct so both are supplied for us to decide? I know the crews used golden yellow waffenfarbe on their tank uniforms, a reference to their cavalry days. Before I go ahead and flip a coin does anyone have an opinion on this matter either way.

Thanks for your help.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:06 AM UTC
If you find out, let me know. I too have a IIIJ in the stash with the same decals. A few years back I did a Tamiya 251 in 24 Pz. Division markings and I used the yellow division markings. It seemed to look good since I did the 251 in the all white winter wash finish. I recently picked up the book "Death of the Leaping Horseman" which chronicles their day-to-day action across the steppes to Stalingrad and to their final destruction there. I am only a few pages in but it is interesting reading . Not sure if they mention the color of the divisional markings but if they do I will surely post it. Squadron's old 'Panzer Colors II' says that white was used as much as yellow. So I say flip the coin.

Cheers
stevedb227
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:17 AM UTC
I just got the same book for my b/day. Haven't started it yet but was browsing through the photos but nothing stood out. Models finished online are displayed with either color. Your comment on the Panzer Colors II quote was interesting though. I have searched the web quite a bit prior to posting my question here and nothing was showing up out there. I do thank you for your prompt reply.

Thanks
JGriffon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:16 AM UTC
The yellow was used early and it appears to change when the base colour changed from grey to sand (around 1942). Although there certainly were some units in panzer grey that used the white marking around the time of this transition. I recall reading this a long time ago, possibly in an old AFV News from the 70's.
stevedb227
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:57 AM UTC
Many thanks for the info Joe. Looks like yellow it is for these 2 kits.
 _GOTOTOP