_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Green for LAV-A2 in Iraq
nicno13
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer from France who is used to building planes in 1/48 but wanted to try modern AFV in 1/35 scale. This forum is really great with so many talented people!

I am currently building a LAV-A2 using the Blast Model resin and I must say I am a bit puzzled by the green to apply. I've read NATO green, made a try but this was not correct. I have made a new try with Olive drab H78 from Gunze but does not look correct to me.

What is your suggestion for Brand/Reference of paint?

Thznks in advance for your answers!
USMCMGUNZ
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:31 AM UTC
All of the LAV A 2's I saw in Iraq and Afghanistan that were monotone (not NATO 3 color ) seemed to be painted NATO Green, however the dust would accumulate so heavily on the vehicles that is was hard to make out the exact shade of Green. I would go with NATO Green and apply large amounts of desert colored pigments or ground up pastels. The dust sticks to fuel and lubrication leaks, spills etc. The dustier the better, ( I did 2 tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan) with USMC LAR Battalions. The vehicles did not receive washings unless rain or water crossings cleaned them.
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 12:52 PM UTC
I use Tamiya Nato Green for modern US vehicles. It is probably the closest match I am aware of. USMCGUNZ has given some very good pointers in his response.
nicno13
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 01:11 AM UTC
Wow, very quick answers! Thanks to both of you! So I guess I'll give NATO green another try!
 _GOTOTOP