_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Gruppe Fehrmann F02
qmccarthy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hello All,
I have been toying with the idea of getting back into German armor after a long time building modern tanks. I have been researching Gruppe Fehrmann tanks and have been drawn to F02. It looks to be an early model and not a hybrid. I can't tell if it has zimmerit on the turret but it does look like there is some on the hull. Does anyone have any more info on this tank such as color scheme, zimmerit, or upgrades?

Thanks, Quinn
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:38 PM UTC

I don't have enough photos to characterise it fully. It was built between January 1943 and April 1943. There were no turret spare tracks, and the smoke launcher gear was removed - even the tab on the roof. The Feifel gear was removed, which is good, because I don't know which type it was.

David

qmccarthy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 12:55 AM UTC
Thank you for the information. Do you have any opinion on the color? I believe that there is some degree of guess work (and artistic license) in painting these vehicles but I want to try and get it close. I am thinking of overall gray with dark yellow overspray on the hull.

Thanks!
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC
It's very unlikely that the tank was ever grey. Dark yellow or a Tropical scheme was likely the original colour.

The turret doesn't seem to have Zimmerit, implying that it came from some other Tiger, so the hull and turret might not match in pattern.

The turret seems to have a 2 or 3 colour scheme with broad bands. At the place where the smoke launcher bracket was cut off the side, there are rust streaks; one of the very few times I have seen them on a Tiger.

The hull seems to have a camouflage pattern with fine lines, but it's hard to see.

Even before it was wrecked, this tank looked like a worn old veteran. I think your model could be more of an exercise in painting than in accuracy.

David
qmccarthy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 06:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the information. It was exactly what I needed to get started.
 _GOTOTOP