_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Bandits Forever" M1A1 AIM 1-37 Armor
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Armorama: 392 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 02:22 PM UTC
The echelon decal set provides markings of the 2nd gun tank, 1st Platoon, Charlie Company, 1st Battalion of 37th Armor Regiment. Nicknamed "the Bandits" the unit was deployed in OIF from May 2003, initially in Baghdad and in extensive operations around Karbala. The Battalion recaptured the city and decimated the militia’s ranks. For its actions in defeating insurgent forces, maintaining law and order, and building of a new government founded on democratic principles, the Battalion earned its second Presidential Unit Citation.

[linked image]

The kit is Dragons superb no 3535. Everything you need is in the box.

references were scarce. But this picture shows the look I wanted to achieve.

[linked image]

The dust adheres to the CARC paint but is not opaque, so that is what I tried to achieve, using washes, pigments.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

best
Mark
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The echelon decal set provides markings of the 2nd gun tank, 1st Platoon, Charlie Company, 1st Battalion of 37th Armor Regiment. Nicknamed "the Bandits" the unit was deployed in OIF from May 2003, initially in Baghdad and in extensive operations around Karbala. The Battalion recaptured the city and decimated the militia’s ranks. For its actions in defeating insurgent forces, maintaining law and order, and building of a new government founded on democratic principles, the Battalion earned its second Presidential Unit Citation.

[linked image]

The kit is Dragons superb no 3535. Everything you need is in the box.

references were scarce. But this picture shows the look I wanted to achieve.

[linked image]

The dust adheres to the CARC paint but is not opaque, so that is what I tried to achieve, using washes, pigments.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

best
Mark

NIIIICE!!! An OIF M1A1 AIM, CARC paint, Tri-Color NATO camo scheme! What's NOT TO LIKE??? Now, I don't feel so alone...
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 03:49 PM UTC
Nice work Marc !

Started something of the same a couple of years ago ... 2005 the 1-37 AR conducted a FTX in the German country side during Winter ... haven't finished mine quite yet need to get some wet and snow etc on it. If you need any "general" info/pics of the 1-37 shoot me a PM.
Love the skull !

Cheers
Christopher

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jmGCw49NY
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Marc !

Started something of the same a couple of years ago ... a little larger scale though. 2005 the 1-37 AR conducted a FTX in the German country side during Winter ... haven't finished mine quite yet ... need to get some wet and snow etc on it. If you need any "general" info/pics of the 1-37 shoot me a PM.
Love the skull !

Cheers
Christopher

Brilliant Christopher !! I look forward to seeing some more of this! So is it 16th scale?
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC
My mistake

I initially thought your model was 1/72 ... still had the thread I looked at before in my head.
But since there are some future M1s announced in 1/16 who knows ... that's if they have at least the same quality as the Dragon kit.

Cheers
Christopher
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My mistake

I initially thought your model was 1/72 ... still had the thread I looked at before in my head.
But since there are some future M1s announced in 1/16 who knows ... that's if they have at least the same quality as the Dragon kit.

Cheers
Christopher

The BEST thing that I like about DRAGON's 1/35 M1 kits is their crisp detail- That also goes for the majority of their other kits, as well. BLACK LABEL, well, that's another story, altogether...
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:33 PM UTC
Mark,
Nice recreation of a 1-37 Armor tank. One easy fix that needs to be made is moving the hatch is itself so it is at a 90 degree angle to the Commander's Weapon Station. The weathering is top notch. I need to do a NATO-flage camo'ed M1A1 one of these days.

Again, great work.

John
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:42 PM UTC
Mark,

your dust looks completely authentic.
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC
thanks John and Fred
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark,
Nice recreation of a 1-37 Armor tank. One easy fix that needs to be made is moving the hatch is itself so it is at a 90 degree angle to the Commander's Weapon Station. The weathering is top notch. I need to do a NATO-flage camo'ed M1A1 one of these days.

Again, great work.

John

Hi, John! Quite a few M1s in NATO-flage did see service in OIF- Good sources are the CONCORD "US Marines in OIF"-series books... Also dropped you a line regarding Vietnam War M48-related books "TANK SERGEANT" and "100 MILES OF BAD ROADS" that you recommended. I took you up on that, and received my books in today's mail! THANKS, AGAIN!!!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 07:45 PM UTC
Mark, what was your technique for getting the dust to look so good?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 07:55 PM UTC
Very nice indeed.
Sekytwo
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 08:05 PM UTC
great looking M1A1 tri-color nato paint looks awesome bro!
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, John! Quite a few M1s in NATO-flage did see service in OIF- Good sources are the CONCORD "US Marines in OIF"-series books... Also dropped you a line regarding Vietnam War M48-related books "TANK SERGEANT" and "100 MILES OF BAD ROADS" that you recommended. I took you up on that, and received my books in today's mail! THANKS, AGAIN!!!

Dennis,
I know that there were NATO-flage tanks in OIF, The Marines and 1st AD used them in th einitial fight and 1ID brought theirs over from Germany in early 2004.

I just need to get off of my butt and build one, preferably my ride form KOrea - it was a M1A1 HA and the AIM kit can be easily backdated into HQ 63/33, 2-72 Armor, 2ID...

John
 _GOTOTOP