_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Micheal Wittmann's Tiger I (Normandy 1944)
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hey troops,
For the folks that don't know me. I'm Tom Dixon. Owner of Dixon Hobbies here in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. But starting here today, I will be building a Tiger I. Why a Tiger I? Well it's always been on my bucket list to build. And after a few months, I was able to track down a Cyber-Hobby Tiger I Late Production. The decals that come with the kit is of Micheal Wittmann's tank. So I will be building it just like his tank.

So today is 20 April 2015. And here is what I got done for the cat.

Bath Time

Oh no... where did the tank go?

Ah.. there it is... all cleaned and drying as I type this.

Just for your information. Cats don't like baths. I hope you subscribe to this topic. Cheer me on. Or give me some advise. More the better. I'll update more when I advance to the next steps.

Cheers,
Tom
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 02:02 AM UTC
Oh so let's get some chatting on the go. I want to know, I carry Vallejo paints. But what would be the PERFECT color to paint this cat in the Vallejo paint line?

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Tom
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

can't help with the Vallejo mix I'm afraid as I brush paint using GWs, about as far apart as possible I think lol. I'll watch the build with interest though as a 1/35th Late Tiger is one of my "bucket list" builds too.

Brent
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
I built my CH Wittman Tiger about a year or so ago.It was a real nice kit.I went with the Tamiya Colors on mine.For a bucket list Wittman Tiger you can't use those kit DS tracks.I sprung for the metal Fruil tracks,can't beat that sag.And I also got the Wittman Crew figures from Dragon.

Have fun and enjoy.
qmccarthy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hello - interesting build. I am about to start an early Tiger based on Gruppe Fehrmann (F02). This will be my first WW II tank in some years as I have been doing mostly modern tanks. I've been researching dark yellow and it is a hornets nest! I tested Vallejo model air 025 dark yellow and 081 tank dark yellow 1943. I found 025 a good match but I added a few drops of sand to lighten it. 081 seemed to have a green hue to it especially after spraying Olive-green camouflage over it. I saw that AK Interactive has a dark yellow modulation set and plan on comparing it to the Vallejo.

So with that said, while not sure 025 is a perfect match, it looks good to my eye.
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:03 PM UTC
In Vallejo line of paints, there's a German camo set with Dunkelgelb, Olive green and Rotbraun paints. It looks good to me,although I use the AK ones. 025 is too greenish for my taste.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/german-camouflage-1943_1944/family/17/139
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:17 PM UTC
Well the wheels are now done. Phew. I never built a Tiger before. So this is a little new to me on how the suspension works. But with Dragon design, I now have it movable. Looks pretty cool so far.

As for Quinn idea of 71.025 for Vallejo paint. I think I will use that as my base coat. The paint chip looks spot on. I also order the Verlinden #2307 Through the Hatch Tiger I E kit. Here is the link, if anyone wants to see it.

As for the tracks, I might just stay with the DS tracks. I had nightmares with the Fruil tracks on my T-80 project.

I also have Alpine figures for this kit. The 35122 Tigers Aces in Normandy. I got a little paint on so far. If you look closely in the background, I have Wittmann in the top left on my painting table.

Cheers,
Tom

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:37 PM UTC
Nice !!
qmccarthy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:59 PM UTC
Looks good so far. Out of curiosity, how do you plan on painting the roadwheels? Are they removable at this stage? How do you like the workable suspension? My plan is to lower the suspension arms in the engine area where it was common - I have been told - for the suspension to fail due to the weight of the tank.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:02 PM UTC
Great thread! Welcome to Tiger I world. I've already built one Dragon Tiger I, the late production with Zimmerit one, and have 4 more in the stash (Cyber Hobby 6660 mid production, the Cyber Hobby Otto Carius mid, the Dragon 6700 mid, and the Dragon 6600 initial production) and just ordered the new Wittman 6730 early production. Hopefully by the time I get done with these, l will know how to build one the right way!!!

I wish I could help you with Vallejo colors for dunkelgelb, but I'm a Tamiya paint guy, for the most part. Good luck, and will be watching your build closely!!! If you didn't know, David Byrden who is on here is THE Tiger expert, so any questions, find him!!
AlexStefan
Visit this Community
Equatorial Guinea
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:18 PM UTC
It would be interesting to know how many percent of all build logs are Tigers... Must be like 7% or so...
Good luck, as many others, I am stuck in the middle of my Tiger's construction as well, the interior is killing you if you add scratch parts...
Enjoy! I did not bathe mine
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 02:21 AM UTC
Working on the figures to this model tank today. I did a little airbrushing on the hull. More of a test to see how greenish tone of the dark yellow paint, a lot of people talk about. I think Vallejo company did a good job on the paint tone. But I do see what people are talking about.

Just have to remember that difference factories, had different tones of Dark Yellow paint. Just in case if someone asks me the historical stuff. That's my story. And I'm sticking with it. Haha.

Quinn, I love the suspension moving. Looks great. They"re glue in. But it is glue on the opposite side on the inside of the hull. It's a long rod that across the lower hull. Lowering it might be a nice idea. But I just past that part now. You also get the choice to set your rear wheel either 90 or on 30 degree angle. So I aim for the 30 degrees, to give it a full combat load.

The road wheels are glue in now too. There is no rubber to be painted on the road wheels. It's a Late Model Tiger. (Steel Wheel) So I'm just going to take off the DS tracks and airbrush it.

Look it's break time!

Cheers,
Tom
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 10:46 AM UTC
Coming along fine there Tom.
astralscooter
Visit this Community
Telemark, Norway
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 02:11 PM UTC
When using Vallejo, I use these for German armor:

Arild
stani22
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 12:33 AM UTC
Fantastic camo.Tiger looks so good.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:34 PM UTC
Just need to finish the inside details. Close it up and work on the outside. It's going to look great once it's done.

Thanks for looking,
Tom
jpbasco
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:46 PM UTC
Nice camo.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:46 PM UTC
I have used Vallejo's Middlestone (70.882) as a Dunkelgelb substitute for a little variety in shades. I have also used their Dunkelgelb in the Model Air line. Otherwise, I use Tamiya's Dark Yellow in the rattle can. Any of those will give an acceptable shade for most everything post-Panzer Gray up to Late War.
 _GOTOTOP