_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Oils
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:41 AM UTC
Want to purchase some oil paints but not sure what colours to choose.
What's the best colours for streaks and such

I have 3 kits to paint and weather
1.sherman olive drab and black camo
2.Jagdtiger tri-camo scheme
3.Panzer III panzer grey with white wash.

Thanks
Karl
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 06:46 PM UTC
Burnt umber works very well as a general wash and for creating darker stains. Ochre is another good color for creating dust and lighter highlights. These two colors are generally universal, at least for me. Burnt sienna works great for rust and streaks.

For a green vehicle, I may use a dark green oil and use it with the above paints to create some minor surface variation. For a dark gray vehicle I may use a wash of Paynes gray to highlight corners as it is a little darker, but not black.

For a tricolor camo, the basic wash colors will work well.

To bring out surface variation and add some warmth and life you can get colors to do some oil dots. Search "oil dot method" in the bar above and you will see some examples and discussion. Red, yellow, blue, green, white and brown, added as small dots all over the model and carefully blended with directional strokes can have a very nice and unexpected effect.

Just start small and work carefully from there. It doesn't take much to be too much. Test the thinner you use carefully as some will take off all paint, and some will also remove the styrene. Put oils over acrylics.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 12:22 AM UTC
Thanks Russ

Don't know if to buy a set of Winsor and newton oils or go with migs tubes.Migs might have better colours as artist oils tend to be more bright in colour.

karl
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 01:32 AM UTC
Oh, Dunelm Mill are selling off a lot of oil paihts, beliefe it or not. I got a bunch andcwere 89p, I think. Lots ofvdiffereht colours too. That was a few weeks ago, so be quick.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC
I have both MIG and W&N oils. MIG oils contain less linseed oil and, thus, dries faster.
 _GOTOTOP