Hosted by Darren Baker
Confused with Takom's pricing scheme
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:21 PM UTC
Is the new Takom Luchs really worth £57.99? It seems to be $56.99 in the US so even with VAT including I can't this kit could be a full [equivalent of] £21 more valuable in this country.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the new Takom Luchs really worth £57.99? It seems to be $56.99 in the US so even with VAT including I can't this kit could be a full [equivalent of] £21 more valuable in this country.

Not sure I understand your math, if the kit is $56.99US that would be £37.93 without VAT. You then have to consider transportation and distributor fees going into England, and there also may be a difference in import tariffs as well.
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:35 PM UTC
Model hobbies have it for £49.49 it's still pretty pricey though.

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/takom-bundeswehr-sppz-luchs-a1a2-02017-p-52996.html

Paul
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 08:02 PM UTC
As ever, it depends on exchange rates, shipping costs, volume pricing, & lastly the importer, & what price they want to set.

Some kits have got expensive, such as Trumpeter, but less so Hobby Boss, for no reasonable explanation I can think of.

Checkout
Lucky Model (http://www.luckymodel.com/) Takom Bundeswehr SpPz 2 Luchs A1/A2UKP£37.23 inc airmail shipping!

Hobby Search (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/)
& any well-known online auction site!

Caveats:
Lucky Model 'appear' to ship 'some stuff' from Germany, (but not everything)

Importing anything from non-EU countries over a value of £15.00 may attract the interest of the PO & the Customs (& if sent airmail, certainly will be looked at by customs).
It is your responsibility to calculate possible PO & Customs charges.

Sometimes your local price could be lower than internet price.

But sometimes I wonder why is the Japan or Hong-Kong internet price with shipping (& Customs) less than the UK shop price for AIRFIX?
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But sometimes I wonder why is the Japan or Hong-Kong internet price with shipping (& Customs) less than the UK shop price for AIRFIX?

I have heard that the Chinese online vendors may be having their shipping costs subsidized by the Chinese government to increase exports. If this is the case, it might explain the low cost to free shipping offered by some the online vendors in China.
zedhol
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 08:11 PM UTC

Not sure I understand your math, if the kit is $56.99US that would be £37.93 without VAT. You then have to consider transportation and distributor fees going into England, and there also may be a difference in import tariffs as well. [/quote]

That US price does not include Sales tax at about 8%, whereas the UK price does include VAT at 20%. Also, the exchange rate has moved a lot in the last few months, from 1:1.65 to about 1:1.43, making the US price less attractive to overseas buyers.

To the original OP this kit, like all others, is worth what someone will pay for it. What is is priced at is a another matter.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not sure I understand your math, if the kit is $56.99US that would be £37.93 without VAT. You then have to consider transportation and distributor fees going into England, and there also may be a difference in import tariffs as well.

I'll break it down for you:

1. 1 UK pound is worth roughly 1.50 USD.
2. Going by those rates $57 would be worth £37.26.
3. The UK RRP of this is kit is £58. That's a bit less than £21 more than what the US price would be if it was converted to pounds.
4. UK VAT rate is currently %20. Add that onto £37.26 and you still only have £44.72 which is still £14.27 less than the price in reality.
5. The kit has to be imported from China [where Takom are stationed], so the transportation and distribution fees and import tariffs have to be paid for the US as well [and that country is nearly twice as far away from China than the UK]
The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:04 PM UTC
clearly stated....Maybe its a British tradition of excess profit?
is the excess profit ratio the same for a French person buying in France?, or Germany?

that is ...is it a Euro thing?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

3. The UK RRP of this is kit is £58. That's a bit less than £21 more than what the US price would be if it was converted to pounds.
4. UK VAT rate is currently %20. Add that onto £37.26 and you still only have £44.72 which is still £14.27 less than the price in reality.
5. The kit has to be imported from China [where Takom are stationed], so the transportation and distribution fees and import tariffs have to be paid for the US as well [and that country is nearly twice as far away from China than the UK]

a. Distributors in different countries receive different discounts from the manufacturer, based on a number of things, including the quantity ordered.
b. Transportation costs are not simply a matter of distance.
c. There are no import tariffs for toys coming into the USA.

KL
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Understood, but you have look at the tariff rates difference between the UK and US, as well as the margin difference between the UK and US distributors.

In terms of shipping, depending on the method, there is really now difference. I would assume most bulk shipments of models are done via shipping container.

Speaking of just Canada, there are no tariffs put on plastic models coming into the country because Canada does not have what is considered a home grown industry. But our prices are reflective of the US, as the US is usually the first importer before the product comes to Canada. And I am not sure what the import tariff in the US is for plastic models.

jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

is the excess profit ratio the same for a French person buying in France?, or Germany?

that is ...is it a Euro thing?

Not a €uro thing at all... even Revel of ahem... Germany, is frequently cheaper from HK, even accounting for shipping.

It is ahem... traditional for the US $ Dollar price to equal the UK £ pound price

at 1 USD = 0.664735 GBP 1 GBP = 1.50436 USD

that's a 50% rip-off but the innernet is helping to lessen this!
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:50 PM UTC
It's the distributor

I can't go into how I know, but it's there margins in the uk that make the difference
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 12:35 AM UTC
Most prices I see in uk just swap the $ for £ then add P+P.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most prices I see in uk just swap the $ for £ then add P+P.

Not really, I honestly don't remember ever seeing a regional price increase of this magnitude before.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 02:48 PM UTC
Don't forget that all those "bargains" from HK etc really should attract hefty import fees! It's only by chance that folks usually get a true bargain because HM Customs doesn't get to check anywhere near the majority of arriving packages.

The number of middlemen, the differing taxes, and different shipping costs all factor in. Personally I'll happily do some plastic surgery to the RoG Luchs in my stash rather than pay the cost of what I'm sure is a fine rendition, simply because I don't NEED a replacement kit no matter how much I'd LIKE one...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:10 PM UTC
Modellbau König (or Koenig ..) in Germany has them for £37:60 (depending on the rate at the moment) + shipping
but if you get over 150 Euros the shipping is free ....
http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Military_Models_135/Wheeled_Vehicles/modern_since_1945/Bundeswehr_SpPz_2_Luchs_A1/A2_2_in_1_i38_45942_0.htm

There is a UK-flag to switch to English if the link opens in "German-Mode" :-)
I can recommend MBK without any reservations, sometimes it is possible to find a better price elsewhere but they are my main supplier of "vital stuff" and things I "must" have ;-)

/ Robin
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:19 PM UTC
[quote]clearly stated....Maybe its a British tradition of excess profit?
quote]

Like that of the US bankers in 2008?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:23 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

quote]

Like that of the US bankers in 2008?

Not only in the US .....
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:39 PM UTC
very true.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 04:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Modellbau König (or Koenig ..) in Germany has them for £37:60 (depending on the rate at the moment) + shipping
but if you get over 150 Euros the shipping is free ....
http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Military_Models_135/Wheeled_Vehicles/modern_since_1945/Bundeswehr_SpPz_2_Luchs_A1/A2_2_in_1_i38_45942_0.htm

There is a UK-flag to switch to English if the link opens in "German-Mode" :-)
I can recommend MBK without any reservations, sometimes it is possible to find a better price elsewhere but they are my main supplier of "vital stuff" and things I "must" have ;-)

/ Robin

& buying from DE to UK means there won't be any additional customs charges as it is within €U & has been tax paid.

Now, if only the German Ebayers would take PayPal, I'd be always skint!
 _GOTOTOP