Q? re M1 Abrams
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hey all
Continuing on with my Aussie Abrams & have a question about the road wheel support arm. In the latest DML M1A2 SEP V2 kit, the support arms fit into their respective hole in the hull via a little spigot, however it's not the strongest fit & can be worn away as you rotate the arm in the hole, as you try to find the point where the spigot drops into its locating slot. My question: is there a reference point on the hull to which you can line up a part of the support arm to ensure the correct ride height?
TIA
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 11:02 AM UTC
The road wheel hub should be just about level with the bottom of the hull.
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 11:38 AM UTC
Awesome.
Thanks Jase
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 06:04 PM UTC
Hi mate
If you put all the swing arms on then place the hull on top of the flattest surface you can find then with a clear ruler measure dead spot on 3 mils from the very bottom of the hull to the top of the bench that the hull is sitting on.

I use these measurements on every build of the dragon M1s and by the time the skirts go on every thing aligns dead perfect level I also recommend going to your local bunnings or masters and getting a mini spirit level this item will aide in getting everything sitting dead flat.

I hope this tip helps this part of the build I take very serious as the finished product depends on this small but frustrating step the other tip I can offer is if your hull is warped glue the upper and lower hull together simultaneously use a G clamp through the turret ring and gently clamp it to a flat surface walk away let everything set and come back and your warped lower hull should be much truer than it was.

Hope these tips help you out and beware there is a couple of minor omissions in the instructions in terms of part placement so check your references and check the shaded parts for the older parts from straight SEP kit as at one point the instructions tell you to use a certain part and if you do it will cause headaches much later let me know if you need more info and I can go over the instructions and ID the part im talking about.

Cheers Ben.

_GOTOTOP