_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
88mm ammo
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 07:09 PM UTC
Both the TigerI and Nashorn used the 88mm, albeit the L56 vs the L71. Did both use the same ammunition and if so were they "packaged" the same, i.e. same crates or tubes, etc. Thanks
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 07:54 PM UTC
The two types of ammo were very different. Tiger l ammo was straight sided from the projectile to the end of the cartridge. The L71 ammo (Pak and Kwk) was much longer and shouldered - meaning the cartridge was much bigger in diameter than the projectile, and much more powerful. The only similarity was the caliber of the projectile. Neither round could be fired from the other gun. Even the packaging was different because of the different size.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 08:26 PM UTC
Nashorn/Hornisse :

Tiger I :

H.P.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The two types of ammo were very different. Tiger l ammo was straight sided from the projectile to the end of the cartridge. The L71 ammo (Pak and Kwk) was much longer and shouldered - meaning the cartridge was much bigger in diameter than the projectile, and much more powerful. The only similarity was the caliber of the projectile. Neither round could be fired from the other gun. Even the packaging was different because of the different size.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.
 _GOTOTOP