_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building Wittmann's 1331 at Kursk Questions
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 393 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:40 AM UTC
Ok, I have Dragon's new Wittmann Tiger I early (S04) kit, and I have the Operation Citadel kit. I was wondering if anyone here can let me know what I need from both kits to get as close to Wittmann's 1331 as I can?

TIA

Brad
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 393 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 10:35 PM UTC
Well, lots of views but no replies. Oh well, I did pick up the Osprey book; Modelling the Tiger I tank, and there is an article contained in the book about building Wittmann's 1331, so looks like I am good to go. The book has pictures and everything.

Bye
Brad
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 02:32 AM UTC
It's a difficult question to answer, because we don't know of any photos of "1331". We can only assume that it was similar to the other Tigers of its platoon.

You could use the "S04" kit, substituting parts from the other kit to make it a normal Tiger instead of a Befehlstiger. The hull roof, for example. There's really not much difference between the two tanks.

David
7foot9
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 02:04 AM UTC
hi. You don't need many parts for the cyber hobby kit the only thing that you really need are the drive sprockets for that kit. you will need to remove all of the communion parts from the new dragon kit. you all so need to mod the commanders hatch. Because Whitman cut a section out of the front to allow him to use the scissors periscope. hi also cut off the smoke launchers on the side of the turret. I think you need a new turret roof but I cant remember if I change mine when I built it. you will need to add the loaders periscope rain cover to the top of the turret to. I think that is most of it hope this helps.
Ed

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 02:41 AM UTC
Ed;

This sounds like really interesting information. Could you tell us where you got it, please?
(I mean the holes in the commander's hatch, the removed smoke launchers, etc.)

David
7foot9
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 03:55 AM UTC
yeah of course. most of the info is available in a book called "tiger ace Michael Wittmann" by Schiffer. and their is a guy called Coan over on the International Scale Modeller forum.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 04:06 AM UTC
Ahh, thank you.

Well, I personally would not trust a book that gets reviews like this;
"The facts are so far off the mark that one has to question whether Mr. Simpson did even the most basic research."

I shall have a chat with Coan if possible.

David
7foot9
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 04:22 AM UTC
Some of the facts seem to be a bit hit and miss in parts for the book this is true. i have included a link to Coens build of wittminns tiger from the new dragon kit.

http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11676
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:31 PM UTC
I'm not saying that those details are wrong, I'm saying that we simply can't trust an author who tells us what Wittman was thinking at specific times. Hopefully we will find photos of the Tiger some day.

I did ask Coen about his sources, and he doesn't seem to have any new info on this topic.

David
 _GOTOTOP