_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How to precisely drop paint from Tamiya jar?
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:17 PM UTC
As title, since Tamiya jar is round without drop mouth, even with the mixing stick I have always found it difficult to drop paint to the dish, as the paint always leak along the edge, does anyone encounter the same issue as well? And how do you solve it? Thank you!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hi LEUNG CHI HIM,

I poor my Tamiya while holding a toothpick on the edge of the jar rim so the paint flows down the toothpick and it gives me nice control of the amount. I always keep a paper towel to wipe the side of my jar no matter what. You can also use plastic pippets or large Medical syringe.

Cheers,
Gary
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:25 PM UTC
I usually use disposable pippettes. Another option i use are syringes with the thickest possible needles. I just cut off the sharp point using a dremel or you could file it down. That option would be good for precision and reusability. Also it tends to have less paint residue which is wasted.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:31 PM UTC
I use a syringe for measuring all paint.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:10 AM UTC
I'm with Gary in pouring it, but with an old paintbrush handle. Sometimes though I'lljust use a big old paintbrush and dip the bristles in and transfer it to the dish that way; the thing is that you often then want to mix it with some thinner or another color, and an old brush is the best thing for mixing paint in small amounts in a dish. Sticks just don't stir enough of it up, and it wears new brushes out.
Axis23
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC
I sometimes use a drinking straw. Put it in the paint than place your finger on top to keep the paint in than drop the paint by taking off your finger. It's the best homemade eyedropper I know.
mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:19 AM UTC
I use a big medicine dropper with the gradients on the side for measurements.You can remove the bulb on the end and clean the tube part.......turkey baster?

Mike
pjmurley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:40 AM UTC
I totally agree with Josh's comment. Not only is a great way to transfer paint, it also is a good way to control how much paint you actually use. I'm sure a handful of straws cut up would last years...
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 02:40 AM UTC
Here's a video I had on youtube way back in 2010 and then republished in 2013 due to Youtube killing the soundtrack (so it's a waste of time to watch) but if you just click forward to about 1:18 you'll see the handle/bottle trick others mentioned.

Super simple and no special tools/gimmicks needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDnLoI70o-Y
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I sometimes use a drinking straw. Put it in the paint than place your finger on top to keep the paint in than drop the paint by taking off your finger. It's the best homemade eyedropper I know.

Quoted Text

I totally agree with Josh's comment. Not only is a great way to transfer paint, it also is a good way to control how much paint you actually use. I'm sure a handful of straws cut up would last years...

I have been doing the same thing as Josh and Peter for years. It is a method that has worked well for me and a package of drinking straws is very cheap and lasts a long time.

Randy
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 03:15 AM UTC
I mix in a spare bottle. I just keep adding small amounts of paint, until I come up with the color I want. I thin it and set it aside for an airbrush session. If I run out, I do it again. It doesn't have to be exact, as the paint would show some signs of fading and shadows.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:53 AM UTC
Mr hobby makes a mr bottle pourer , I think the # is gt51 . Goes on to the mr hobby paint bottles . Also fits tamiya bottles . Allows you to pour paint out of the bottle . But I just use an eye dropper closer to accurate than eye balling it .
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:31 PM UTC
Same here. I just get dropper bottles in bulk and premix paint similar to a vallejo model air stash. Aside from that i keep a logbook for listing color recipes which is more useful for gundams and such.

On a side note, does anyone know how long pre thinned paint can keep in an air tight container/bottle? I have a friend that manufactures paint and he said that usually as long as it is air tight it should last a very long time but he is not sure about hobby paints.
 _GOTOTOP