_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya acrylics
amigo1941
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:11 AM UTC
I'm about to use Tamiya acrylics for the first time in my airbrush and would like to know what is the best thinning ratio to get the best flow.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hiya Les,

Most people prefer 50/50, but i generally mix 60/40 Thinner to paint. It flows great, i get no splattering or the like to speak of and have maximum control. Also, i use Tamiya Yellow top Lacquer thinner or Klean-Strip Lacquer thinner to thin all my Tamiya - Mr.Color Leveling thinner works awesome as well. When using XF-Flat colors, i put a a tad of Tamiya clear in the mix and it makes a world of difference...for me anyway.

Good luck fella,
Gary
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:39 AM UTC
I normally go for 50/50 using X-20A Acrylic thinner. I think the paint is fairly forgiving when it comes to the mixing ratios. Just don't underthin too much and spray at a high pressure and long spray distance, that's sandpaper finish waiting to happen
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hey Les,
I couldn't really add anything to what Gary and Jomark have already said (I use the yellow top Tamiya thinner like Gary does) but I would practice on a piece of scrap something or other before you hit something that you have put some time and effort into. If nothing else just to ensure that you aren't going to get the dreaded orange peel effect.
Cheers,
Rick
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi there, I do 50/50 but most of the time I use isopropyl for thinner, it's cheaper and works as same is Tamiya thinner, cheers
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:16 AM UTC
I also use alcohol for thinning my Tamiya acrylics and it works great. A word of warning though; alcohol will cause Tamiya acrylics to turn out dead flat, regardless of what you start with. Not a big issue, but you should be aware in case you are ever looking for a gloss or semi-gloss finish.

AnalogKid
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:51 PM UTC
I use a 60/40 paint-to-thinner ratio (using my eyeball so not very exact…could very well be a 50/50 ratio) in my Iwata airbrush utilizing the .35mm tip. For many years I thinned using isopropyl alcohol with fairly good results but last year I was turned on to Tamiya lacquer thinner for thinning purposes and I love the way these paints spray now. For clean-up I use the Tamiya airbrush cleaner which smells/seems similar to the lacquer thinner but is a tad cheaper than the lacquer thinner. Yes, using brand-name lacquer is an admittedly more expensive route than using alcohol but that's a personal choice.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:21 PM UTC
Around 50:50 with the "white cap" X20A Acrylic thinner. If in doubt, a bit more thinner than paint.

I learned only to prepare what is needed and to cap the paintbrush cup since the Tamiya colors have a quick drying time/the thinner evaporates rather quickly.

Cleaning is done with Tamiyas designated cleaner, gets the brush cleaned better than anything else I tried
debrartin
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm about to use Tamiya acrylics for the first time in my airbrush and would like to know what is the best thinning ratio to get the best flow.

I usually thin Tamiya Acrylics 50/50 with their own thinners. Usually works wonderfully.

As best acrylic brushes my first choices are Synthetic Bristle brush.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 05:45 AM UTC
Those brushes are some serious , hardcore painting supplies !
DocEvan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 06:41 AM UTC
I agree, but I use either Testor's Model Master acrylic thinner, or plain old 70% rubbing alcohol (isopropanol).

Quoted Text

I normally go for 50/50 using X-20A Acrylic thinner. I think the paint is fairly forgiving when it comes to the mixing ratios. Just don't underthin too much and spray at a high pressure and long spray distance, that's sandpaper finish waiting to happen

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 03:52 AM UTC
I've used just about everything for thinning Tamiya - from tap water to windshield washer fluid. Like other posts, Tamiya yellow top "Lacquer Thinner" works the very best. You always get predictable results with an ultra-smooth durable finish. Just don't try to hand brush Tamiya - the solvent and physical contact of the brush will lift off the previous coat.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use a 60/40 paint-to-thinner ratio (using my eyeball so not very exact…could very well be a 50/50 ratio) in my Iwata airbrush utilizing the .35mm tip. For many years I thinned using isopropyl alcohol with fairly good results but last year I was turned on to Tamiya lacquer thinner for thinning purposes and I love the way these paints spray now. For clean-up I use the Tamiya airbrush cleaner which smells/seems similar to the lacquer thinner but is a tad cheaper than the lacquer thinner. Yes, using brand-name lacquer is an admittedly more expensive route than using alcohol but that's a personal choice.

Could the cleaner be used as a thinning agent?
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 02:46 AM UTC
It would probably work, although the instructions on the bottle specifically state that it not be done. You would probably end up removing previous layers of paint!

I use both yellow top lacquer thinner and the airbrush cleaner on a regular basis.

Regards

Rob
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 07:31 AM UTC
I get the best results thinning Tamiya 50/50 with good old cheapo blue windshield washer fluid.

Clean out the airbrush with Windex shot through it, followed by distilled water till clear.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:25 AM UTC
I use a 1:1 ratio w/ the Tamiya thinner, and have never had any problem whatsoever (e.g., dry tip, clogging). After a painting session, I clean my ABs with 91% IPA.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 05:43 AM UTC
You might find the cleaner breaks down the structure of the paint, I'm sure it would thin it, but whether the resulting finish would be much good I don't know.
 _GOTOTOP