Why no NATO trucks?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 12:00 PM UTC
Hi Gang,
we all know that modern trucks are the stepchild of the manufacturers. While there are several Soviet/Russian trucks now, no up-to-date molding US or other NATO trucks are on the horizon. We could be glad to see Italeri`s M1120 HEMTT LHS this year. I saw yesterday a trainload full of US Engineer vehicles on a train station, including several HEMTT`s, but these all are now A4 variants. So, Meng, Trumpeter, Takom, Bronco... We like to have modern US and NATO trucks in a good quality!!!
Cheers
Hans-Hermann
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 01:06 PM UTC
Trumpeters LMTV, FMTV & MTWR ??
Google image search:
https://www.google.se/search?q=LMTV+FMTV+Trumpeter&biw=1161&bih=1072&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=le09VeGBMoGKsgHE6YH4DQ&ved=0CB8QsAQ&dpr=0.85

and

https://www.google.se/search?q=LMTV+FMTV+Trumpeter&biw=1161&bih=1072&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=le09VeGBMoGKsgHE6YH4DQ&ved=0CB8QsAQ&dpr=0.85#tbm=isch&q=Trumpeter+MTVR

I agree wholeheartedly that we need more trucks :-)
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hi Robin,
I know Trumpeters FMTV`s, the prblem is that currently you will only see the A1 P1 variant with the LTAS armored cab. Since Trumpeter told me that there will be NO more FMTV variants, this is another point on the list.
H.-H.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 02:38 PM UTC

Revell germany made the germany army unimog,and the man 3 ton ,5 tom and 10ton truck in both 1 72 and 1 35 scale
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 02:40 PM UTC
Have you ever tried to build a Revell truck kit?
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes!

The MAN 5 t truck.

But only with the use of an etch set, quite some Evergreen and resin wheels it became a more or less representation of the real one.
To my opinion Revell wants to be affordable and thus making concessions to the quality and levell of detail. A good kit for beginners.

But I got your point, a Mercedes, MAN, Scania or DAF in a military outfit would be nice.
suikmoto
Visit this Community
Tartu, Estonia
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:24 PM UTC
I have built revells 1/72 7ton 6x6 truck. It was rather nice but suspension was quite complicated. Also you had to cut windows yourself out of clear sheet of styrene.
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:40 AM UTC

Hi, I would love to see some cold war NATO trucks, especially British, US or German. Dragon have announced a Patriot missile system which looks like it will come with an M983 so it is likely we will see variants of the HEMMT over the next couple of years. I hope that Dragon will also make a Stalwart(and Saracen) as much of what is needed exists in their Saladin kit.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We like to have modern US and NATO trucks in a good quality!!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but while you and some others would like to see more NATO trucks, some of us (like me) couldn't care less.

I don't ever build military trucks.

Which is at the heart of the answer to every post asking why no models of this or that or something else.

The answer is, because none of the companies believes it will make enough money to be worthwhile. It's that simple. If they thought it would make enough money, they'd do it. That few companies make this sort if vehicle says that they do _not_ think it will make enough money.

Paul
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 02:06 AM UTC
So why bother to read the Softskin forum??

Fortunately for me, plastic, white metal and resin makers in Braille Scale make plenty of Cold War (and other) trucks. Occasionally I am inclined to make a tank.

Chris
mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 05:27 AM UTC

Need one of these in 1/35,started DND 404 driving with one of these back in the early 70's.What a monster!

Mike
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:59 PM UTC
I hope to see one day french army trucks in plastic in 1:35 scale !

There are several that I would like to build.

terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Hermann,

It's a little bit complicated, but this is a very doable job.

Mine kit of a MAN 6x6 with scratch building for the armored cab.
I have done this scratch before the Y-Modelle release.

tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Because techniques and interesting topics show up on all forums eventually. My comment wasn't so much that I did or didn't build this or that kind of model, but that the answer to _all_ of these questions of why not this or that is the same; because the makers don't think there is enough of a market. And I was an example of the larger market in not caring enough to want such kits.

For every person in the softskin community wanting NATO trucks, there are probably 5 people in the WW II community who would much rather have a Daimler Armoured Car. And they're not getting that, either. :-) And I'm certainly not getting the Ram II I want. :-)

We all live in anticipation as to whether our own particular niche subjects will ever be made.

Paul
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because techniques and interesting topics show up on all forums eventually. My comment wasn't so much that I did or didn't build this or that kind of model, but that the answer to _all_ of these questions of why not this or that is the same; because the makers don't think there is enough of a market. And I was an example of the larger market in not caring enough to want such kits.

For every person in the softskin community wanting NATO trucks, there are probably 5 people in the WW II community who would much rather have a Daimler Armoured Car. And they're not getting that, either. :-) And I'm certainly not getting the Ram II I want. :-)

We all live in anticipation as to whether our own particular niche subjects will ever be made.

Paul

I'd like to get a Ram II too, and a new Chieftain, and some trucks, and some Swedish tanks, and that Canadian 2.5 ton truck in the picture in a previous post, and a ......

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/234787&page=1 HEMTT
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

We like to have modern US and NATO trucks in a good quality!!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but while you and some others would like to see more NATO trucks, some of us (like me) couldn't care less.

I don't ever build military trucks.

Which is at the heart of the answer to every post asking why no models of this or that or something else.

The answer is, because none of the companies believes it will make enough money to be worthwhile. It's that simple. If they thought it would make enough money, they'd do it. That few companies make this sort if vehicle says that they do _not_ think it will make enough money.

Paul

The curious thing is that we have recently had a spate of obscure Soviet trucks, and one wouldn't think there would be a huge demand for them either, yet we now have Kraz trucks (a make I had never heard of when they were actually in production), as well as Zil, Zis, Gaz, and so on. If these are selling, one might suppose a few of their NATO counterparts would, too.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 01:48 PM UTC
New HEMTT coming soon § Merit comes with a HEMTT family. Here test shot for a M983 truck tractor :

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 05:23 PM UTC
I guess Merit is another Trumpeter Brand. Hopw is the quality of other Merit kits?
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 06:51 PM UTC
Very good, I have build 2 Diamond Ts
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If these are selling, one might suppose a few of their NATO counterparts would, too.

You'd think so, I'd think so, and a bunch of us here would think so, yet it seems the manufacturers _don't_ think so.

As always, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at these discussions when which model to make next is decided.

Paul
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If these are selling, one might suppose a few of their NATO counterparts would, too.

You'd think so, I'd think so, and a bunch of us here would think so, yet it seems the manufacturers _don't_ think so.

As always, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at these discussions when which model to make next is decided.

Paul

No, TIGER Is and PANTHERS are SOOOOO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT!!! Can't these BOZOS see that many of us are GETTING TIRED OF THEM?!??!!??? It's the "common, everyday stuff" that actually keeps armies moving!!!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hear, Hear!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul

What's to discuss? Just add another bolt to the belly pan or take one away, and you have a "BRAND NEW!!!" TIGER I!!!
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't these BOZOS see that many of us are GETTING TIRED OF THEM

As long as "we" keep buying them, "we" are demonstrably not getting tired of them.

Sales of Tigers, Panthers and Shermans keep companies afloat while they take on the lower salability work that the rest of us really want. I can't fault them, I'm just happy there are a couple of (new!) companies making sufficient money selling "not Tigers" to allow new and exciting things to show up. If they can stay in business we'll eventually get what we want. There certainly are enough unbuilt kits in my stash to do me for quite a while.

I'll wait. :-)

Paul
SuperSandaas
Visit this Community
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The curious thing is that we have recently had a spate of obscure Soviet trucks, and one wouldn't think there would be a huge demand for them either, yet we now have Kraz trucks (a make I had never heard of when they were actually in production), as well as Zil, Zis, Gaz, and so on. If these are selling, one might suppose a few of their NATO counterparts would, too.

Hasn't many of these kits been tooled by Eastern European or Chinese companies? I'd assume there is a substantial "home market" in Russia and China which makes these kits economically viable?

Personally I seldom build anything make after 1950's but I'd wish there be more civilian vehicles kitted in 1:48 scale.
 _GOTOTOP