_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
weathering leather seats
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC
I'm building Tamiya's 1/35 German cargo truck; what's a good technique for weathering the leather seats inside the cab? I'm on a budget so I don't have any weathering pigments or paint sets, just enamels or acrylics and earth tone chalks;
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 04:03 AM UTC
Brian, not sure what this seat looks like... But using those materials I think maybe you should paint the base color in acrylic, and then use the enamels to do a pin wash or line shading along the edges and the seams, and when that's dry, maybe make a wash that can be used to shade / dirty the parts of the seats that you want to show as worn - then maybe touch up the pin / line painting again afterwards. Then use the chalks to dust around the bits that are not constantly being polished by the passengers sitting on them. You could use a lighter colour acrylic to make a few splits or tears/ cracks.

Just a suggestion. Frankly I'm never too sure if the leather in such vehicles should be black or brown, or even if it is leather at all. Brown is probably the easiest to paint, though black might be more authentic...
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hi Brian,
The guys painting figures have a lot of experience that you can use... search for figure leather tutorial and surely you will find something you like.

For example this, although for boots I think you could use it for a seat as well:

http://www.planetfigure.com/pages/Painting-Leather-Boots/
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:28 PM UTC
Thanks for the great ideas guys; appreciate it
 _GOTOTOP