_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How to remove paint?
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi all, I would like to know how to remove dried paint (Acrylic) from model without damage the plastic (mistakes made)? Shall I use industrial alcohol or specific type of thinner? Thank you!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:24 PM UTC
The perfect thing to strip a model is Windex, which is a water/Iso alcohol/Ammonia mix for washing windows. If you have an equivalent product where you live, heres' what to do:

Get a plastic container that the model will fit in.
Pour in Windex to cover the model.
Leave in overnight, agitating every few hours.
In the morning, the acrylic paint will be gone.
Rinse gently under clear water.
Let dry in dust free area.
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The perfect thing to strip a model is Windex, which is a water/Iso alcohol/Ammonia mix for washing windows. If you have an equivalent product where you live, heres' what to do:

Get a plastic container that the model will fit in.
Pour in Windex to cover the model.
Leave in overnight, agitating every few hours.
In the morning, the acrylic paint will be gone.
Rinse gently under clear water.
Let dry in dust free area.

Thank you for your advises! I will give it a try!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
You can also mix ammonia, with water. About +20:1 - water:ammonia
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi, I use oven cleaner with great results, but its very smelly. Something like Mr Muscle.....spray it onto the model, shove it in a plastic bag in the oven ( dont turn it on !!!!! ) and leave for a few hours or even overnight. Take it out and run it under water and using a soft brush, the paint will come right off. If youve used a primer first like Tamiya spray can primer, that primer will stay in place
ian1066
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 01:40 AM UTC
Revell make a paint remover for acrylic paint. Brush it on, then wipe off. Works a treat.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 03:03 AM UTC
Nail varnish remover is another method. The advantage is if there is already someone in the home that you can pinch it from...
lentorpe
Visit this Community
Alava, Spain / España
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 03:18 AM UTC
I always use pharmacy alcohol (more or less same price as isopropylic). It works instantly with planes; I simply soak a piece of toilet paper, slightly rub the model with it, and off goes the acrylic paint. Then I soak a Q-tip to access and clean the smaller areas.

But tanks would be a bit more difficult to rub... you would surely end up having to re-glue a lot of details.
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 07:53 AM UTC
+1 on the Mr. Muscle. I noticed your area is in HK and as I recall you can get Mr. Muscle in most grocery stores over there. Not to mention it leaves a more bearable orange smell compared to windex.

Also, it doesn't take long to strip acrylics using mr. muscle. Just place your kit in a plastic bin and generously spray all over. Give it maybe 5-15 mins and you could scrub or brush off the paint. Lacquer based primers/paints will stay in place.
Wiggen
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 07:10 AM UTC
I use Yes power spray (i think its called Fairy power spray in some places) to strip my miniatures, works really well and its not too agressive, it wont hurt the plastic or the glue.

It comes in a spray bottle and i poured it along with some water in a plastic container with a lid then put the miniatures in there for a day or so then just removed the paint with a cheap electric toothbrush (and a regular tootbrush for some areas)

i´ve had some miniatures in the fluid for months and i havent seen any damage at all to the plastic.

noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 06:21 PM UTC
Hot water and vanish. leave for 20 30 mins. rub off the hard to remove bits with a toothbrush (prefereably one you don't use anymore) and bobs your uncle.

Pete
Molentik
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 07:55 PM UTC
I use Dettol antiseptic liquid, paint just flies off in seconds with the gentlest of scrubbing and it doesnt attack styrene, resin or white metal. Do rinse thoroughly after to remove all the residues.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:00 PM UTC
The advantage of the Windex method is that it's non caustic and it requires absolutely no scrubbing. Windex actually destroys the paint's pigment and separates it from the carrier. It is the most effective, least labor-intense method for removing acrylic paint.
PanVet34
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:28 PM UTC
Simple green works good. Just soak your model/parts in it over night and it takes the paint off down to the primer.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 07:10 AM UTC
I've used Windex, Simple Green, IPA & Purple Power. Purple Power is simply the best in terms of cleaning power and speed.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 07:22 AM UTC
Brake fluid also works well but only on plastic or etched parts. It will work on enamels or acrylics. Just soak for a few hours and rinse. Do not use on resin. It tends to make the resin soft and rubbery if left too long.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC
Brake fluid softens plastic cement. So need to be careful with it.

I dipped a 1/12 Formula 1 body to strip and repaint and all the attached parts were falling off.

Quoted Text

Brake fluid also works well but only on plastic or etched parts. It will work on enamels or acrylics. Just soak for a few hours and rinse. Do not use on resin. It tends to make the resin soft and rubbery if left too long.

_GOTOTOP