_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
King Tiger
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 03:06 AM UTC
hey guys! Haven't posted in quite a long time! Got out of modeling for awhile and have stepped back in with a desire to improve my skills and use more than one color for cammo!

Anyways....

I'm building Dragons King Tiger 6302 w/Porsche turret. I'm having some problems with attaching the tow cables. Are they supposed to be that long or are they supposed to be cut in half? I've tried attaching them as they are but the loops on the ends would extend out past the rear of the tank.

Thanks!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 03:18 AM UTC
Glad to have you back.

Hope this helps.
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 05:17 AM UTC
I've got plenty of photos from books I've collected, but I need to know if the cables are supposed to be cut or not. Are you supposed to work with them and use both cables for left and right hull, or cut them and only use one cable for both sides!?
dommy20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:31 AM UTC
Can you provide a bit more info, like how long the kit cables are? I have that kit but its at home boxed up and I'm at work. I'm pretty sure the directions had a little box that showed how many millimeters the cables should be, unless I have a different KT kit (mine is the older non-zimm version).

As last resort you can try googling to see if the actual length of the tow cables is listed anywhere, then convert it to 1/35 scale (divide by 35) and see how that compares to what the kit provides.

If it makes a difference, on my Panther G kit the tow cables go basically from one rear corner across the engine deck and up the opposite side to the front corner, so they are pretty long.
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:46 AM UTC
I just checked the instructions. It says the total length of the cables is 420mm and 450mm, and then in the assembly section it says the cables should be 240, so I guess that kinda clears that up. Are you supposed to use both cables though or is it one or the other?!
dommy20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 08:00 AM UTC
If I'm not mistaken I believe one length might be slightly thicker and meant for the actual towing cables while the other is thinner and meant for the track cables? I'm doing this from memory, sorry.

I was googling and couldn't find any listed lengths for KT cables. I'm at work and can't check my books. At some point you're going to have to take a leap of faith, I don't think a few mm will be noticeable.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:41 AM UTC
Step 13 has you putting one on one side, and step 15 has you mounting one on the other. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
 _GOTOTOP