_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Attach Track/Wheel prior printing
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 05:30 AM UTC
Dear all, do you normally attach track/wheel to the AFV before printing or versa visa? Which way is better and what is their pro and con?? As I am rather confused which way to go at the moment, therefore would like to hear your advises, thank you!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 06:40 AM UTC
I paint the wheels and tracks separately if possible as it is easier for me to do it before they are all in place.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:51 AM UTC
I'm with Russ A.

I'm assuming here that we are really talking about link tracks... I assemble all gear and tracks on to the hull using blue tacky, let all link-sets and other stuff fully dry and harden to get whatever sag I want, and then I remove all wheels and tracks and paint them separately, and later re-install them and complete weathering.

By removing assembled gear and track-runs, I can easily weather the hull sides which will be behind the gear but still visible, and I can also better paint wheels and such when they are separate pieces in my hand, as versus mounted on the hull.

Bob
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:34 AM UTC
Lately I have been installing my tracks and road wheel before painting.I did it to my Panzer III and Sherman.but if I build a tiger or a panther with the rubber wheels I will paint them separately the install tracks after painting.

If your kit has magic tracks or link and length build them up with the road wheels attached and take off before painting once glue has set.

Karl
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 01:58 PM UTC
The con with painting first can be that gluing painted parts is not as easy as gluing unpainted, and things might get a little lumpy as you try to avoid messing up your paintwork. With Tigers / Panthers etc you could construct wheels and tracks just leaving off the outer layer to the end, but even then sometimes you might have to paint it all later. As an example, and I only show this as I remember it because it was me, look toward the bottom of this page: Panther Zvezda
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 05:25 PM UTC
I prefer to paint my wheels and tracks off the tank.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 06:10 PM UTC
Chi Him, I suggest you try both -- on and off the vehicle. The "better way" is what works for you. Cheers, Tat
 _GOTOTOP