_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
M1A2 SEP V2 Abrams
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 05:09 AM UTC
Darren Baker takes a look at the latest Abrams out of the Dragon Models stable in 1/35th scale, this time around it is the M1A2 SEP V2 Abrams.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 05:49 AM UTC
Nice review, this is one I will need to build soon myself. Does it look to you like you could build the older M1A2 SEP out of the box? Looks that way from the sprues but. . .
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 05:56 AM UTC
Very good review, but like you stated, 90% of the kit is the same as the M1A2 SEP and M1A1 AIM kit. If you can edit your review and add some more detail shots of the added sprue(picture 15 and 16) would answer a lot of questions from the ones who already have the SEP and AIM kit.
Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 06:21 AM UTC
Very nice review. I may just have to get one as I have been waiting for the SEP reissue for months. I have read that this kit only has two new sprues in it compared to the other kits.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 07:36 AM UTC
Pete: I will get that done for you but I cannot get it done until Sunday.

Matt: other than the metal barrel I do believe it can be built as the standard SEP, but that is from memory. On the plus side this does offer some options.

Jeff: I would say get this one before it is no longer available.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 12:48 PM UTC
Doesn't look like it comes with the newer style clear hub covers? They are notched, as this photo shows (from Gino's walk-around here)

Also missing the spent brass/links collector bags, but this may not be a deal breaker.

Jim

ColDunwerk
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 06:25 PM UTC
Thanks for your very instructive review. I don't do many post-WWII vehicles, but I might have to make an exception for this one. What's amazing, and somewhat infuriating, is that Dragon charges the same price for their Saladin as they do for this kit, which comes with a ton more plastic. Go figure?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
If this one is as good as their M1A1 AIM then everyone should make a beeline to their LHS or Internet retailer and get one. Excellent review, Squire. And congrats on the election results.
andrewwjohnson
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 09:18 AM UTC
The clear parts are a great addition. My only concern is this issue seems to be missing the drivers compartment and the interior turret detail such as it was allowing it to be built with opened hatches.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The clear parts are a great addition. My only concern is this issue seems to be missing the drivers compartment and the interior turret detail such as it was allowing it to be built with opened hatches.

None of Dragon's later Abrams kits (M1A1 AIM, M1A2 SEP, or this one - M1A2 SEP v2) come with the interior parts (turret or driver's compartment). If you have one of their older Abrams kits w/the interiors, they can be made to fit the later versions.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 05:45 AM UTC
I've got the old 3516. I don't care about the interior parts as I'm not on an Abrams kick. I'll send them to anyone who wants them, shipping on me. (US)
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got the old 3516. I don't care about the interior parts as I'm not on an Abrams kick. I'll send them to anyone who wants them, shipping on me. (US)

PM sent
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:21 AM UTC
This is a nice review Darren! Don't understand why they left the metal barrel out though! A question I have being new to AFV modeling is that I've been reading lots of reviews on this site and when it comes to Dragon kits the directions are always mentioned as lacking in clarity and this goes back from years old reviews on this site to the present, so Dragon must be aware of this continual complaint from modelers, so why don't they fix this problem with their instructions??
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 03:05 PM UTC
A very good review. I have already assembled the kit and here are some things I noticed:

The kit can be built into a SEP V1 vehicle without any problem. All the parts are there.

It can also be built into an AIM version, without the BFT system next to the Gunners Primary Sight (sprue R from the AIM kit is not included).

The DUKE system is a little underscale, about 2mm short in size.

Part O12 (the support for the wind sensor when in folded position) should be omitted.

The spent brass/links collector bags are included as parts A36 and A5 but they could use some TLC for looking more realistic.

The bolts around the Gunner's Primary Sight should be saved off for installing the CROWS II mount.

Finally, I have not come across a photo of a SEP V2 vehicle with the UAAPU installed, but only with the Hawker batteries. So take that in mind when chosing which option to install. The best thing to do is look for photos of the specific vehicle you are modelling.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Finally, I have not come across a photo of a SEP V2 vehicle with the UAAPU installed, but only with the Hawker batteries. So take that in mind when chosing which option to install.

No M1A2 has the UAAPU any longer. The UAAPU was dithced a few years ago and the Hawker Battery Systems installed in all A2s. The UAAPUs were found to be unreliable and not effective.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC
I always believed the instruction issues were down to the shear number of kits they produced, but as they now release the same kits with a few extra parts on most occasions that excuse no longer holds water.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 02:26 AM UTC
Well maybe they just don't care about the complaints they must receive.

For newcomers to this hobby such as myself it makes one apprehensive to purchase one of there kits. The last thing a new AFV modeler needs is a set of obtuse instructions. You would think that there marketing execs would pick up on these continual complaints and there not just on this forum there everywhere I look!

It's what has prevented me from purchasing their product at this time.

I guess I'm just wasting my breath on this issue and thats fine,air is one thing but I'm not going to waste my hard earned money on a 50-60 + dollar kit with this type of issue though, thats for dang sure.

Must be nice to have made so much money off of your customers with 1000's & 1000's of kits sold and to completely ignore the very people that buy your product. Such a BASIC part of a kit but important all the same. At least to me and I suspect to others or there wouldn't be a steady stream of continual complaints about this issue on every Dragon review or build I come across.

Sorry to be negative but I think Dragon should address this issue!
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
To be fair Craig Dragon Models is not alone in this, they are just the one that is best known for it. I would also strongly suggest that depending on what subjects you are interested in you should not let the instructions issues put you off making a purchase, I say that as they provide the best WW2 German armour for the most part and certainly the widest choice.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 03:22 AM UTC
I understand your point Gary and I don't mean to be so negative towards Dragon but your right I have seen an occasional complaint here and there on other kit companies but not as consistently mentioned as Dragon.

I have discussed this with another member here and he has said it is not as terrible as it may have been represented in the many reviews/builds out there.

He also advised me to not let it persuade me not to purchase the Dragon WWII armor that I am interested in like you have,which is pretty much all of it,lol. He recommended the Dragon 6301 Panzer IV E AUSF Vorpanzer as one to buy and put in my stash and I think I will, just to check this issue out for myself.

Maybe you could also recommend some Dragon kits that you have built that you were not disappointed with and were a good value and enjoyable build?

Anyways thank you for responding to my question,I appreciate it! I'm sure it sounded just like another newbie complaint that no one wanted to address but I had to ask!

Craig..

jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It can also be built into an AIM version, without the BFT system next to the Gunners Primary Sight (sprue R from the AIM kit is not included).

Not quite true. You still need to back date the engine deck and left hand rear area without the Hawker Battery System/UAAPU. The AIM engine deck is not included in this kit.

The instructions are not that bad. Yes they have carried over a couple of small mistakes here and there, and a couple of places are a bit vague, but in all, very good. Just have plenty of reference when you build it.

Cheers Jason
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:11 AM UTC
The Panthers, Tiger 1's and King Tiger's are all worth looking into. the ones with moulded on zimmerit do have a record of fit issues due to the zimmerit getting in the way of a good joint.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not quite true. You still need to back date the engine deck and left hand rear area without the Hawker Battery System/UAAPU. The AIM engine deck is not included in this kit.

You are absolutely correct, the engine deck needs some work.The fuel cap needed for that is supplied in the kit and with some minor effort the left hand area of the engine deck can be backdated.

One more comment about the lack of the metal barel. At first I thought that it was a disadvantage, but the plastic parts are far superior in detail.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:09 AM UTC
Thanks Gary! I'll look into those kit's.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Finally, I have not come across a photo of a SEP V2 vehicle with the UAAPU installed, but only with the Hawker batteries. So take that in mind when chosing which option to install.

No M1A2 has the UAAPU any longer. The UAAPU was dithced a few years ago and the Hawker Battery Systems installed in all A2s. The UAAPUs were found to be unreliable and not effective.

Thank you Gino. Gee wish I'd read this before that step LOL Oh well, now I will always know what under armor auxiliary power unit is all about. Live and learn. Can you share any details about what the field issues were with the APU? Overheating? Dust ingestion? just curious. - Thanks- Stuart
 _GOTOTOP