_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Captured Stuarts used by Germans?
enfilladed
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hello all, I have a tamiya stuart mk1 that's been lying around for eons, and I was wondering, since America sent so many stuarts to Russia for the lend lease there must've been at least some captured by germans, but I've never been able to find a picture of one being used by them.
Could someone help me out? I imagine they might've painted them grey or just maybe slapped a few crosses on the things,...but I'm hoping maybe there's a possibility of some creative things being done, like if they had any stuarts that managed to survive combat for awhile and maybe even made it back somewhere to be repaired/overhauled.

...Beats putting a luchs turret on it for kicks
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC
I do know that M3's were caught and used by the DAK in North Africa, so I would imagine that if the Germans had an opportunity to use Russian M3's, they would.
Wish I had a pic.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:07 PM UTC
They probably just used them as targets for gunnery practice. LOL!
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:34 PM UTC
Isn't that what they used them for when we were still in them??? #:-)
enfilladed
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 09:21 AM UTC
Bwahaha, I agree with the target practice remarks, oh well, guess It's grey and plastered with large crosses,...
Still surprised that nobody modified any of the things into an artillery carrier or anything.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC
here is a pic of a destroyed stuart that had been under geman command. and here is the site it had came from.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
As I have stated before, I love anything that deals with captured vehicles and equipment. In the Schiffer book "Captured American & British Tanks Under the German Flag" there a three pictures on pages 7 and 8 of captured Stuarts used by the Germans. Two are pictures of Stuarts that were used by the British in North Africa and the other is of an American Stuart in Normandy. It looks like all they did was cover up the allied markings and added German crosses. I will keep looking to see if I have any pictures of any that were captured from the Russians. Seeing as how the Germans used almost any equipment that they captured I am sure there are some photos out there.

As far as any being modified there is a picture in the Squadron/Signal book "Stuart U.S. Light Tanks in action" on page 27 of an M3A3 supplied to the Yugoslavians by the British that has a German Flakvierling 38 quad 20MM AA gun mounted on it. It also states that some had German PAK 40 75MM AT guns mounted on them. I know that that isn't exactly what you are looking for but I thought that it was an interesting combo.

I don't have the capability of posting these photos but maybe you can locate the books somewhere and take a look at them. I hope that this helps you some.
 _GOTOTOP