_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Raseiniai kv-2
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hello,
I tought to start build thread for this to get ideas, help and as general blog. Wasnt sure which is the right place this or the "Constructive Feedback" section.
This is my second thing on modeling, after the Tamiya Tiger 2
Here:
http://armorama.com/forums/234096&page=1

I tought to base my dio after this story:
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2013/03/battle-of-raseiniai.html

I bought some kits to start with. Here is link to my photobucket, where I would be uploading photos as I go.
http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/1m4s0/library/Mobile%20Uploads/Raseiniai%20diorama%20work

I ordered the trumpeter kv-2 but they didnt have any available so I had to take the zvezda one, Im aware it has some issues but it doesnt look that bad after looking at it. (what do I know lol)
I have also Eduard PE sets coming for the kv-2 and the pz35(t). Metal barrel for the KV-2.
Both the PE and barrel are ment for the Trumpeter version but I hope I can use most of them...
Also Im going to try some custom fenders for the tanks from foil for more beaten up look etc.

So for the diorama base I tought just to make "basic" dirt road, timeline as day/few days after the fight.
So the kv would be with the battle damage on the road.

First thing I would like to get suggestions for is as follows
1. BMW R75 and few figures on the scene that are "checking out" the kv wreck
2. PZ.35(t) and some crew that are driving by or checking out the wreck
3. PZ.35(t) driving by and motorcycle with some figures checking out the wreck
Or any combination...

I dont want to make that here is too much stuff, so kv + any other vehicle or figures would be enough.

Im not going to get too accurate with details on the tanks, just the major things should be right... like getting the tanks look that they are somewhere near the right model for the year 1941.
Also this is still learning process for me, as first figures are going to come in here and some custom stuff as the fenders, dio base etc.

Feel free to comment! I will try to use the feedback as much as my skills and equipment allows!
Also most likely I wont be doing daily updates as I will do these things when I have time, but this is the start... time will show how long project this will be and will it end up in the trashcan

I could include some smallscale kit review here as I make these.

ps. Not any progress today, Finland vs Russia hockey is starting..
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:16 PM UTC
I would not use the Pz38 driving by as the tanks stayed to the front and didn't drive around. Only unless it has just been repaired and is rejoining the unit.
I would stay with the knocked out tank and then one vehicle stopped on the roadside with some guys standing around and looking at the KV. The motorcylces were mostly used for courier or recon work so how about a softskinned car? Mercedes
or Horch or staffcar?
Also,guys here like it when you post your pics on the thread,rather than provide a link. You will get more hits that way.
J
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply!
I tought the driving by 35 would fit as they were used to try harrash the kv-2 so they could get the AA in position. So they were in the area and could be movin up or returning etc. Also use of the mb just as you say, but persons interested enough to stop and take a look regardless of their task.
My imagined timeline is flexible to fit any scene around that time.

I would rather post all pics here too, some forums dont like when people add too many pics as it can get hard to read. But if its ok and prefered I will do so!

I would rather work with what I have here atm if its possible, its tricky to get kits here as they are usually in backorder and postages are equal to cheap kit
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:56 PM UTC
We do not restrict the number of images used in a thread on Armorama, so post away when you get going. The only advice I would give reference pictures is to use images of 800 x 600 as that helps with loading times. I hope your build turns out as planned.
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
Kicked of the project today with little experimenting.
Here is few pics of the first test how the foil works and to get feel of the material. This zvezda kv has molded on fender what makes this harder to do. Maybe tomorrow I have time to make better tool to avoid so much stripes and marks on the foil and experiment further.
Have to see if I could remove the fenders and make the new ones from there...hmm

Also started on the turret.. there was some slight flash and some of the sprue attachment points were on "stupid" spots, like where is molded weldseams. It can be tricky to clean those spots up to match the rest.
Also there was strange hook that was to be mounted back of the turret, didnt see this in the photos that I found with google so Im filling that..

This is far from the Tamiya tiger quality, but not that bad. Also the green plastic may show all the imperfections better than the pale tamiya. Checked some of the sprues and there is flash here and there, specially in the link and lenght tracks. Ok looking weldseams but alot of pin mark on the parts. Will get back to those when the time comes.

Not much to look at yet. But an update
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 05:12 AM UTC
Not much to update except minor assembly and some further testing with the foil.
I removed the plastic fenders as a whole and did some filling on the hull.

Here I have to say few things about tamiya basic putty... Its horrible, dries wicked fast so it forms annoying skin even after few seconds when in contact with air so working time is like 10 seconds. It also shrinks alot, so you have to do several light fills or one thicker. Pros are that its very sandable and one part.
I may get some 2 part plastic filler from the hardware store...

Zvezda fenders did not look right to my eye when comparing to google pics. Way too thick and odd riveting on the outern edge, looked some pictures that had only slight bend lip.

I still have ways to go with the foil, its hard to get it to form nicely in some places. Have to make some thin tool to make the details sharper. IMO it look even now better than the molded one...

And finally some random assembly picture.
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:28 PM UTC
I did some work with the fenders yesterday... Trying to find right material and method. I think Im close...
Aluminium from "soda can" bent to rough shape. After that heated (annealed) to soften it for the tracing. I found the dish foil too soft and got punctured at sharp corners and un treaded soda can aluminium is too hard.
Only annoying problem is that the alu starts warping quite badly when heated...
Any help with this would be appreciated, I have tried searching this site and others but there isnt much of tutorials etc.

I should get the PE set tomorrow so I can see how I have to do this to match it. I will be most likely be asking help/tips here soon.

Also did some wheels

Bad mold seams around the wheels and misaligment of the mold halves or other side of the mold is machined wrong for some parts... Some of the parts are good with only thin seam, but some parts have other half like 0.5mm in wrong position... Dont know how to explain, my english is lacking here

Also flash, pin marks on the tracks and other side have sinking at the spot where the pin mark is on the other side... Like all the outern lips of the tracks. Same thing with the rubber tracks...

Sorry about typos as I use my phone to make these updates, taking pictures and uploading to photobucket.
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:33 PM UTC
Slow progress..
After working with this kit this far I have to take back what I said about this kv-2 zvezda kit, I woudnt buy it again. This will most likely keep me away from other zvezda kits. I should have returned this and asked for my money back, as the seller replaced the trumpeter with this without asking me.

As I ordered the PE set and now it doesnt fit well to this.

Still.. some progress shots, making the turret. Have to fill those seams on the barrel and suchs.
Good thing is that this will be a wreck so I can deal with the problem areas then in a way or a another.

Ordered some copper foil to try with the fenders and maybe tool boxes.

I dont get why company takes the effort to make a mold and not research simple things and do it right..
It eats the interest and motivation to take an effort to build the kit with care when the manufacturer hasnt taken the time with simpple things..
 _GOTOTOP