_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftain in film and TV?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi Gang,
this maybe an unusual topic, but I watched yesterday Mr. Bean episode "Back to school". Best scene of course was the Chieftein Mk. ??? rolling over Mr. Bean`s car. But I wonder what kind of soldiers where there with their drill instructor? Is it still a common practice to take out military vehicles to public event?
TIA
Hans-Hermann
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Hans-Herman,
The Dutch Koninklijke Landmacht (army) does!
The last weeks, due to the memorial of the liberation of Europe, many soldiers took their gear out of the barracks to show to the public.
More and more, the aspect of the military support to public services is made aware to the general public.
Also, training aspects for missions such as information gathering are held in Dutch towns and villages, in close support of the vehicles that are used normally as well.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hi Paul,
in "ancient times" German Bundeswehr did a lot of CIMIC stuff.
Bundeswehr units hold partnerships with the surrounding communities. Usually each company held a partnership with a town. I remember many occasions when Panzeraufklärungsbataillon 12 visiting town, bringing along Luchs, Fuchs and occasionally even Leopard 1 A1. That how I started my photographing career.
Oh glory day back then!
Cheers
H.-H.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 01:27 PM UTC
Hans-Herman,

The Dutch forces do have a "third" role, next to the Defence of our kingdom and the NATO tasks, being a support for the civil services like police, fire brigades and public authorities. They supply drones for search missions, the navy supports with sonar, engineers build the floating bridge for the 4-days marches and more. Also, explosives ( ww2 and suspisious terrorist bombs) are tasked to the forces. So, for a modeller there are certainly some dios to build with a mix of civil and army.
But also, a Fennek or CV90 on a mission training, fully packed, with interested or 'questioned' west European civilians is certainly a realistic subject.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 05:53 PM UTC
It looks to me like it was a Mk.10 with Stillbrew armor.

Keith.
 _GOTOTOP