Assembly sequence 1/48 Tiger
blackjackbluefour
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 04:15 PM UTC
Hi all,

I decided I need to get some more tanks built, and it's been a few years since my last one. When building the Tamiya 1/48 stuff, is it best to follow the construction steps in the instructions, or is there a different order or technique when it comes to the running gear? I've got an Early Tiger on the bench, and I was contemplating actually following the instructions, gluing the whole track/wheel assembly together, and pulling it off for painting. Any hints?

Thanks.

Rich
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 06:20 PM UTC
That seems ill-advised. The wheels and tracks were different colours, therefore to avoid accidental overpainting I would paint them separately. In fact, I wish the tyres were separate parts.
miniflea
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
Usually what I do is paint the road wheels, track, and hull separately and then glue them all together. The link and length track complicates this a bit, but I've had decent success with taking each run of track and gluing half of it together (but being careful not to glue it to the wheels yet) so that the track run comes off in two halves that can be painted off the tank, then put back together and touched up as needed.
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC
Well I almost always agree with David Byrden, and there is no right or wrong answer, but in 1/48 I have found it is easier to paint the whole model and then go back and paint the details and tires later by hand. Your experience may vary. BTW I almost always use metal tracks if I can so this has to factor into this.

HTH
Scott Gentry
 _GOTOTOP