_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tiger 1 Befehls tiger
shredder71
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 04:32 AM UTC
I'm hoping someone can help me out here with the Tiger 1 befehls tigers. This is my favorite subject and I want to eventually build 1 befehls tiger from each battalion or division. Here is my question for which I can't seem to find an answer too. Obviously the battalion hq Tigers where befehls. From what I can tell there were usually 2 with 1 as a "reserve". In the summer of 44' the 101st had 007(Wittmanns last),008 and 009. I am assuming 008 was the reserve in this case? Here's my question, where the company hq Tigers befehls? For example, would Tigers 100 and 101 from the 1st company of the 506th in the summer of 43' been befehls Tigers? How about the battalion hq Tiger #01 from the 301 Funklenk? Obviously it had the smaller antenna on the side of the turret but did it also have the standard 3 antenna arrangement of the befehls? I have a number of Tiger 1 books but none of them have any real info on the subject. Are there any books on the Tiger 1 that contain the information I seek? Obviously I have been able to find some info and pictures for certain Tigers but would like to know which Tigers (early, middle, late) are correct for different periods of time. Considering replacements and some tanks "surviving" longer than others this seems to be somewhat of a difficult task. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 01:06 PM UTC
I suggest that you look at the Tiger im Focus site, which will answer some questions. For example, it shows that the 506th didn't have Tigers numbered 100 or 101. The 501st in Africa didn't have any Befehlstigers at all.

But in general, company command Tigers were not Befehlstigers.

David
shredder71
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 05:03 AM UTC
Thanks David appreciate it. Thats the problem with some of the books out there. They don't always have the numbers and organizations correct for all the units. I actually meant the 505th in the summer of 43'in regards too Tigers 100 and 101. By the way I saw that you gave technical assistance on Dragons recent Wittmanns S04 Tiger. Great kit. Can't wait to get the new 131 Tiger. I hope at some point they release an early mid with the small pistol port on the turret. I do have the site you mentioned bookmarked so I will take a very thorough look.
Thanks for the advice
 _GOTOTOP