Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng Leopard 2a4 build
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:49 PM UTC
yes, Bundeswehr only. Four options if I remember correctly (golfing this morning)

So a Finnish one is an option, then...two types of skirts seem to be included, so that's a plus
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Anyone know what batch the Finnish Leopards are from?

They are from the 1st to the 6th Batches.

Jason

would you know if the Finnish Leo from the 6th batch kept their "new" front side-skirts or were they backdated to the initial version ?

Thankx & Cheers
Christopher

The Finnish Leo 2s came from Bundeswehr stock. From what I have seen the Leo 2A4FINs have the older version side skirts.

chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yes, Bundeswehr only. Four options if I remember correctly (golfing this morning)

So a Finnish one is an option, then...two types of skirts seem to be included, so that's a plus

You can actually build 3 German different version with the parts provided:

5th batch tank with initial front and rubber rear skirts.
For the 1-4 batch one would have to redo all anti-skid patches to the initial layout (Italeri kit for example) .... most probably found on some the Finnish tanks as well in addition the Finnish tanks also sport some additional anti-skid patches on the turret as I recall. Also their rubber side-skirts look different plus couple of other add-ons to the turret.
The Leo2 book from TANKOGRAD on foreign users would probably be your most accurate ref. on the Finnish version to date.

A Polish version of the 2A4 should also be possible straight out of the box with ECHELON decals.

6 -7 batch tank with a mix of new front skirts and initial rear rubber skirts.
All welded front hull plate so the bolts would have to be removed, these hulls were preferred in the 2A5 upgrade program (like the TAMIYA kit).
Deleted ammo-door on turret ... weld seams on the kit would have to be removed as well.
I found out that for example the Panzerlehrbattalion 93 and the Panzeraufklärungsbattalion 11 where two units operating this version till the mid 90'ies.

8 batch tank with all new front and new "heavy" rear skirts.
Hull and turret features same like 6-7 batch plus the "Feldjustier"-sight on the muzzle, some time later the 6-7 batch tanks had this feature upgraded.
I haven't found out which one of the "Panzerlehrbattalion"'s used this version as the decals suggest but the Gebirgspanzerbattalion 8 defiantly used this version.
Again TANKOGRAD's superb book on the Leo2 in German service would be your best ref. choice.

Myself, I have decided to reproduce 6/7 batch vehicle which I have started on and I am really enjoying this kit !
I hope MENG will also do a 1-4 batch version of this tank since they were the most common ones used and sold.

Cheers
Christopher
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 02:49 AM UTC
Definitely following this build! You are making fast progress. Looking fine
Terry
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:15 PM UTC
So where do we rank this one among the current stock of 2A4's in 1/35? Looks pretty nice to me.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So where do we rank this one among the current stock of 2A4's in 1/35? Looks pretty nice to me.

Fit amd detail, it's better than Revel amd lightyear ahead of Hobby boss amd the old italeri. I can't speak for the accuracy
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:37 AM UTC
Little more progress. Moveable suspension is out of whack again. Forgot to line then up before taking
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have reviewed this kit on Leopard Club. Basically it knocks the spots off of any other Leopard (1 or 2) kit out there.

http://leopardclub.ca/reviews/Meng/2A4/

Best regards
Michael Shackleton
Author Leopard 1 Trilogy

www.leopardclub.ca
www.facebook.com/leopardfibel
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
Good to know, Michael. This is one of the best kits I have ever built, quite honestly.
hliu24
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Little more progress. Moveable suspension is out of whack again. Forgot to line then up before taking

Hi, Jason

It looks good!

Jay
 _GOTOTOP