_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeters 1:16 Pz IV Ausf. H
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC
Deep into the build of Trumpeters awesome Pz IV - very few issues so far, short list and then of to the photos:
1) interior colors only rudimetary called out in the instructions - I have used AK´s splendid late war set
2) virtually no decals for interior except for the grenades - of which you get a full compliment of 87 pieces
3) padded pieces in the commanders "nest" can't get in place without a bit of surgery
4) very little in terms of wires and hoses in fighting room and engine
5) Alu barrel way too heavy to get a good balance - I suspect that using the turned barrel means gluing the assembly so you won't be able to elevate the barrel
6) fit of turret top to the front plate and the bottom of the turret is less than perfect - some filling will be needed
7) Lack magazine pouches for the mg´s
8) no hinges works - should have done so in this scale.

Thats it so far - otherwise a sweet build.

PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 12:27 AM UTC
Looking good there Jan.don't think I could tackle such a large kit as I hate painting 1/35 never mind 1/16

knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 01:11 AM UTC
Thank you for the update & photos, still nothing there to put me off buying one.

Keep up the good work,

Kylie
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 05:52 AM UTC
Picking mine up saturday
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 09:33 AM UTC
Nothing that can't be done with a little old fashioned modeling skills

Trumpeter have announced a "J" - i have only seen drawings so far, but it looks like it would have Thoma Schurtzen - so that might be worth waiting for Kylie ?

To Zimmerit or not to zimmerite - well, with the "J" u are pretty sure that it was produced after the order to stop coating with zimmerite came out - with the "H" my impression - and it is cutting the date a bit sharp - that the production og "H" ended after the order came out ...

Otherwise Atak makes a set for Tamiyas "G" - it ought to fit, but who knows - i don't know if theres scale differens between Tami and Trump ...
Kornbeef
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:20 AM UTC
Nice work Jan.

I'm plodding through mine and concur with what you say about the kit completely.

I'll be using your blog as help when painting begins in earnest of the interior if you don't mind. What reference I have doesnt cover the Ausf H interior but I have some shots of a G to work with. If you can recommend any books or links I'd be really grateful

Frankly the engine bay is rather sparce of much detail apart from the generator set which is hidden below the radiators (which are sadly short of detail)Upto now there appears no exhaust connection between the mufflers and the engine/generator.

Also I'd be interested to know if some of your decals were scribbled over with a black marker. I'm presuming they were SS divisional markings? Decals 9 & 11

Now I'd like them to release an earlier variant, something with more vision ports like a F2 and as it says F2 on the main hull moulding I'm hoping if it sells in enough numbers they will.

Keith
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

yep, there's a problem right there: Ausf H, or a J, or the F1 / 2 that is on the photo-etch... which one to go for?!

Keep up the progress, please

Kylie
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:15 AM UTC
Lovely job.

Can't wait for their 1/16 M1A1 Abrams.
AnalogKid
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 - 10:51 PM UTC
Nice work so far...very well done. Thanks for taking the time to do some scouting work and post your progress. I have the same kit and am eager to jump into it. -Len
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 12:58 AM UTC
Keith, yes, my decals are also PC sanitized - I bought mine in germany at Axels Modellbau - so thats probably the reason - you might be able to remove it with a little alcohol ?

Len, no problem!

Take a look here http://www.network54.com/Forum/637977/ among other things theres a link to photos from what appears to be a fairly original sample - not all a H, but many things carries trough the versions.

I have given up on the turned barrel - its way too heavy ...the counterweight is improved with a cut down spring from a ball pen - it keeps it in balance and still moveable - but still the construction is too weak for the turned barrel.

Feel free to join in with your builds Gents, this is not a blog - more an open discussion/source kinda topic

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 12:05 AM UTC
Now with working hatches and pistol port - a very forgiving scale to work in

OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:43 AM UTC
Man this looks really nice.
I'm glad I ordered one, it's on the way from China now.
I got it from Hobby Space for $213.30 U.S Dollars.
Voyager has some 1/16th. Pioneer tool clips coming, anf Aber has a Brass Muzzle Brake coming.
Great Work
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hello All, I've ordered this bad boy from Luckymodel.com, as they were having a sale: 20% off of orders over $180US. What was I suppose to do!? (it's being delivered to my brother's business... so as to avoid the Minister of Finance, who does not really need the bother of it all...). I was going to wait for the Ausf J, but gave in to an offer too good to refuse. Delivered for less than $210.

Please, keep up the up-dates, and hopefully I will be joining you soon.

Kylie
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
I have to admit that I am disappointed by the level of detail offered by this kit (not a criticism of the OP's great thread as I think Jan has done a fine job)but this model does not pack the same level of detail as the magnificent Trumpy Kingtiger, especially around the engine

Maybe I am being unfair but I kind of expected more, but its not like I wont buy it
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:37 AM UTC
OK, who here saw this one coming: Atak have done zimmerit up-dates for the Trumpeter kit! Hull, schurzen, mantel. Now, how cool it that?

Still waiting on mine to arrive... and I've the AFV Modeler build article part one for this kit.

Kylie
ACBailey
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 05:38 AM UTC
Honest question,because I am very curious- Why does everybody keep buying Zimmerit sets?
Wouldn't it be cheaper to use some putty and a tool?
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Honest question,because I am very curious- Why does everybody keep buying Zimmerit sets?
Wouldn't it be cheaper to use some putty and a tool?

Sure, if you fancy doing it - or has the skills.
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 09:26 PM UTC
Beautiful, enjoyable build!
 _GOTOTOP