_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting Sharp Curves
Rollin_n_Trollin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 04:01 AM UTC
First off, I am very new to models and this is my first post here. I am wanting to do a camo pattern with hard, curved edges and I'm looking for some help with achieving such. I don't have ad airbrush and I will be hand painting all but the undercoat, and my hand isn't steady enough to confidently paint without tape. So, what is the best bet for masking curves? I am thinking electrical tape but I've never used it to paint before, and regular masking tape hasn't worked out yet. Does Tamiya yellow tape work? I am looking for 2-6mm thick lines so anything that could help is appreciated, thanks.
smithrp
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hi Bob: You might want to try silly putty. Modellers use it to airbrush camo and other patterns so I am sure, being careful, you could use it for brush painting. You can make it conform to any shape you can imagine, and when you are finished painting just roll it up in a ball and use it again. Good luck.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi Bob,
Welcome to Armorama! You should use 3M blue painters tape. Cut to shape before you apply to the model. Rub down firmly. It will give you a nice clean edge but won't lift the paint underneath. Buy it at Home depot, etc.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 07:59 AM UTC
Rub it down, yes. Make especially sure you get the edge facing the paint as well so you don't get any creeping underneath and ruining your clean edge.
Rollin_n_Trollin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 08:53 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I will pick up some of the 3m paint next chance I get. Silly Putty is probably a no as the kit has mesh covers for the engine rather than photoeching but thanks for the tip, might try it at a later date.
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:15 AM UTC
I believe blu tack could be used too with brush painting. I think almost every store stocks it..
 _GOTOTOP