_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
120 mm mortar crew
mastertyno
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
See the images of my first Diorama... It's a 120 mm Mortar with Crew (4 soviet soldiers) in WW II, an kit from Italeri... Your critics are welcome... of course, but go easy please...

See more in my selected link
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:09 AM UTC
hi mastertyno,

you got a nice little dio their. maybe you can weather the mortar car. and paint the wheels black.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
It looks good! I personally like the wall. How did you do it? I find out the men are quite clean. Give it a wash to show some of the details and shadows of the kit. As with the wheels, isn't it flat black or something like that? The book looks kinda cool. What did you use/do?
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:23 AM UTC
Very nice but, I agree with the weathering and painting of the tires from the above posts. Also, that crew (RTO) on the phone might just be a little too far forward of the tube. There is quite a muzzle blast from a mortar, especially from a large caliber weapon as the 120mm.

Otherwise, nice concept and execution!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:36 AM UTC
The jury is unaminous .. could do with a little more weathering. This has the advantages of showing fighting soldiers and showing up the detail a bit better. And then a nice dull cote to flatten all the sheen.
But these little things aside, its a lovely dio. Very well laid out and nice action. Did the little trailer come with the mortart kit as well? Useful little dio item. You made an excellent job of the Italeri church window also. The back alooks as good as the front. Did you fill it with plaster and scribe it, or have used another method? A bit more rubble would suit as well!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:42 AM UTC
first of all congrats for your first dio.I especially like the interior of the ruin.it looks like there was a real fire in the church. sooty walls- burned wood and ash on the ground. the groundwork is also good.I agree on the critics about the tyres of the trailer.if it is fixed on the ground and you have no choice to paint it again you can weather them in black pastel chalks. I am not sure for the color because maybe it is the photo quality but the color of the uniforms makes them look like Germans not Russians :-)
keep up the good work
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
its looks good.
i like how your placed the mortar behind
the building,
the uniforms on the figures are to glossy.
they need a dull coat on them
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:19 PM UTC
Its a really nice first effort my friend. I d try to tone down the bunch of colours using some pastels so preventing them from showing brand new. Keep on trying
mastertyno
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:29 PM UTC
Thanks very much for your opinions! Indeed, I agree with all of your suggestions... The curch wall is from Italeri, and the back was filled with moddeling clay from DAS... but the result was not very good, so I came up with the solution of simulating a fire on the inside...The trailer's wheels need to be repainted of course, that's an aspect that I forgot... and I'm finishing the radio transmission equipament that is missing...

Thank to you all, boyzz
See yaaa
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:14 AM UTC
Its a very nice dio, a bit more weathering, and u get urself a contest winner!
kkoori
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:22 PM UTC
Well done, keep up the good work and be sure to post up pics of anymore dioramas that you do mate
 _GOTOTOP