_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ammo stowage for Cyber Hobby PZ II
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Im looking at building the Panzer 2 F from Cyber Hobby 6263
I was wondering if anyone does an ammunition set for this as an aftermarket kit for this... as there is absolutely no representation in the kit of the ammunition rack or ammunition, even the magazine for the gun is terrible.

Anto
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:09 PM UTC
Anthony R.;

Hi! First, a sort of "huh!", given as this kit has been reviewed by several great and detail-minded folks over the years, and somehow nobody has apparently pointed out that it lacks any ammo storage - there would of course have been racks or bins for the short 2cm KwK 30 mags and some place for those drums used on the coaxial MG34...

But you can see and find out about those storage items and locations (for at least some of them, anyway) by looking at the various interior pics and instructions provided for the Dragon Pz. II ausf B kit (#6572). Dragon has included the ammo in this one - and, I think, in some of D's other Pz. II kits.

The KwK30 used a shorter mag than that used for the FlaK 30 / 38 guns - both mags do fit both guns, but panzers got short-barreled KwK versions with shorter mags - maybe for ease of handling inside that tiny turret?

Far as I know, reviewers have thought (and I concur... ) that the styrene KwK barrel is about the right length, but maybe slightly over-large in diameter. The gun receiver is pretty darned good. And the small-seeming mags really look quite right. But those are opinions, of course. The kit MG34 needs to be modified, as CH / D simply used one of their infantry type -34's for these panzer kits, and the gun needs to lose its stock and the fittings for the bi-pod and the sights to be correct in the Pz II.

I do recommend replacing the styrene KwK30 barrel with the ArmorScale or RB Models metal items - which look superb. A metal MG-34 barrel with perforated shroud could help out as well.

There are of course lots of those short styrene KwK mags around in some other D kits which have that gun (various Pz II kits, FlaKpanzer 1A, Aufklarungspanzer 38, SdKfz 234/1, etc.), and these can also be sourced from Bronco, Tristar, or HobbyBoss SdKfz 222 kits, if you want some great-looking styrene KwK mags. I'm not altogether sure, but D's and Tristar's FlaK 38 kits may actually have some of these KwK mags, as well. There are some AM PE kits with mags - Voyager, Aber, other PE makers offer mags with PE cases. The PE mags look great, but unless you have them up where people get a close look... the styrene ones do fine, I think. Especially if you drill a few "load-check" holes in them!

Sort of ditto for those MG-34 drums. There is a super nice AM PE and resin kit for MG-34 and -42 ammo, drums, belts, and drum-carriers available from, I think, Voyager. It shows up on eBay and is available from LuckyModel. There are also styrene drums to be had in some D Pz. II kits, some D German figure kits, and some in other maker's kits as well. There are a few AM resin drum sets around, but I don't know anything about these by personal experience, so...

Hope this helps!

Bob
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:30 PM UTC
Thank you Bob,

I cant understand how they can do all the work on the interior and forget the ammunition stowage.... Doesn't make any sense what so ever!

Anto
 _GOTOTOP