_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
MAIM heads: what you buy and what you get
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:25 PM UTC

I bought some heads from MAIM, just to move to something new from the wonderful Hornet.
This is what you order:

And this what you receive:

Judge by yourself….
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hi Luca, certainly has NOT got the same expression on the 3d printed head as the box art....! I see what you mean, pretty disappointing.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hi,
Your head is reference 102 while the photo is 105... do not know if it has something to do. Also maybe after priming it will reveal more details as with pure white is difficult to see.

But at first sight it looks quite different,

Good luck,
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Your head is reference 102 while the photo is 105... do not know if it has something to do. Also maybe after priming it will reveal more details as with pure white is difficult to see.

But at first sight it looks quite different,

Good luck,

Carlos, good pick up on the kit number my friend..! That will have a lot to do with it
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:55 PM UTC
I'd like to see that primed, I was thinking of picking up some heads but have been holding off because I haven't seen what they actually look like.

Kimmo
prophecy
Visit this Community
Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hello,

I think you gotthis head instead the head you ordered. A simple packaging failure.

durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:42 AM UTC

Not a packaging issue, but quality. I bought 3 heads, and the difference between box art and the real thing is huge for all of them. ... You don't need primer for seeing how beautiful is a Hornet head, and I understand why Hornet shows the real thing, while MAIM shows only the box art...
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 03:47 AM UTC
As a caster of my own resin parts I know that if you add a Matt color to the resin, like Hornet does, you'll get a casting where details are much easily detected. That'll explain why it's much harder to detect detail in your MAIM head.

I think the no. casted is a strong clue that this is a packing error.

This said it's also clear, however, that the pictured "photoe" is a 3D CAT impression, and not an actual photoe of the product. Not that I find this okay though.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 12:55 PM UTC
thanks for the ahem 'heads up'

but consider priming them & re-posting them so we can also see the delivered quality?
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:11 PM UTC
Im curious though are they ebay bought Maim heads or direct from MAIM or an authorised dealer?
Probably something you should be clear about if your attempting to name and shame.
Ive never ordered from them or used them so id be interested in the outcome.
Lazzarus78
Visit this Community
Switzerland
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:36 PM UTC
Hi guys, something is wrong with the Heads you got there. Took a quick Look at the Heads i have here from the same Brand. Your Heads are 3D printed, not usual, this product is normaly casted in Resin. Mine are Resin and no print marks. Colour is more grey. Perhaps it is helpfull to get in contact with Production Company.
Cheers Chris
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:55 PM UTC
prime them first then post a pic.
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:11 PM UTC
I primed the heads, that I bought from my preferred dealer , http://www.dersockelshop.de/

[URL=http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/lucaprati/media/various/DSC00035_zpsiucbupad.jpg.html][/URL
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:29 PM UTC
Wow, that doesn't look too good. Certainly nothing like what the image would have you think.

Kimmo
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 06:40 PM UTC

It seems that this heads are made with a sort of 3d printer... nothing to do with sculpted heads... What is really disturbing me is the difference between what is showed and the real level of detail of the head. Hornet heads are another planet, in terms of quality.
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi Luca,

i am too have some of their heads and the quality and dimensions are different. I have the head too but the version with headband for Vietnam Figures. These are not bad. I am sure they are produced with an 3D Printer but not in the best quality. The images on the packages are all 3D pictures and the real product is far away from that. Some are as good as Verlinden but the Details are too soft. Also some heads are very small. The ones with beard are more 1/48 scale and useless. They donīt fit any 1/35 Figures.

I think the idea is great behind these heads but the product is far away from to todays standards. Some old Verlinden ones are much better.

These head sets have nothing to do with sculpting. It is just CAD Design and 3D printing but not at itīs best.

So if you want Resin heads nothing goes over Hornet. Also the ones from IUltracast are very good. Verlinden has also some very good heads.
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Luca,

i am too have some of their heads and the quality and dimensions are different. I have the head too but the version with headband for Vietnam Figures. These are not bad. I am sure they are produced with an 3D Printer but not in the best quality. The images on the packages are all 3D pictures and the real product is far away from that. Some are as good as Verlinden but the Details are too soft. Also some heads are very small. The ones with beard are more 1/48 scale and useless. They donīt fit any 1/35 Figures.

I think the idea is great behind these heads but the product is far away from to todays standards. Some old Verlinden ones are much better.

These head sets have nothing to do with sculpting. It is just CAD Design and 3D printing but not at itīs best.

So if you want Resin heads nothing goes over Hornet. Also the ones from IUltracast are very good. Verlinden has also some very good heads.

I have been using Hornet heads for many years, I sitll have at least 30 Hornet heads or so in my stash, and I just wanted to test these new ones... Never again.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been using Hornet heads for many years, I sitll have at least 30 Hornet heads or so in my stash, and I just wanted to test these new ones... Never again.

I feel for you, the only positive here is that now more people know to steer clear of these heads.

Kimmo
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
Thanks , I think I will never buy this one .
 _GOTOTOP