_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
SCC15 Possibility?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC
I used a photograph of a preserved Cromwell Tank and found that Tamiya AS-9 spray paint (RAF Dark Green) was the closest color to the picture's. I have looked at numerous threads about SCC15 and what the proper hobby match was and not a one of them could provide a definite answer.

Did I hit jackpot?
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:38 AM UTC
Well if you are happy with the match then go for it.

However basing any colour match on a photograph of a preserved (re-painted?) vehicle is unreliable at best.

Was it repainted in anything approaching the correct colour?

If by preserved you mean it's in its original paint, then that paint is 70 years old, so that's not reliable either.

And then there's the variances that can occur by looking at photos, either printed or on a monitor.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well if you are happy with the match then go for it.

However basing any colour match on a photograph of a preserved (re-painted?) vehicle is unreliable at best.

Was it repainted in anything approaching the correct colour?

If by preserved you mean it's in its original paint, then that paint is 70 years old, so that's not reliable either.

And then there's the variances that can occur by looking at photos, either printed or on a monitor.

I know these things, but wondered if anyone could provide any real information on how well repainted examples match the originals.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:59 AM UTC
Tom
No one appears to make a half way accurate SCC15 - not even the Mig recent colour comes half way close.
If you want to go with Tamiya, have a look here at what I mixed according to the renowned Mike Starmer - http://www.plasticarmour.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=420&start=10

Gary
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:41 PM UTC
There turned out to be a Krylon brand paint which was perfectly suited for US modern interior green (and I used it and it worked). If only one existed for this color too...
 _GOTOTOP