_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon M270A1 MLRS
Quartercav
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi,
I got my M270A1 kit from Dragon today and I'm very disappointed about it!
90% are from the old kit! The only thing that is new are two stowage boxes, the air conditioning, the gun mount, a box on the rear and the fire control panel. That's it, very sad!

Did any of you made the same experience?
Andreas
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:43 PM UTC
I'm sorry you're not happy with it. I did post several months ago that I would wait before getting that kit. There's always a reason behind that.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 11:21 PM UTC
I like Mr. Skipper's hints
sauron
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 11:22 PM UTC
Actually the hull is significantly different too with the A1 being longer and a different suspension. I'll try to shoot some comparison photos tonight and post them.
Quartercav
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hey,
Thanks for your reply. I will check out primeportal for some comparison photos.
The US MLRS in the late 90s in Germany, they are M270A1 versions or M270? Does anyone have an idea?
@ Robert,
I can't remember about your post, but I was wondering why there were no reviews about it. And let me say, your reference photos from the M1 ABV, Bradley are awesome, very helpfu!!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually the hull is significantly different too with the A1 being longer and a different suspension. I'll try to shoot some comparison photos tonight and post them.

The chassis are the same on both versions. The updates are all internal. They include the new targeting computer, a GPS antenna on top of the LLM, the LLM in now electrically elevated and rotated (as opposed to hydraulic on the M270), and a few other internal updates with the engine and transmission. The A/C unit and M240 mount are MWOs, not version specific.

Quoted Text

The US MLRS in the late 90s in Germany, they are M270A1 versions or M270? Does anyone have an idea?

Most likely not. The first M270A1s were not fielded until late 2000.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:28 AM UTC
Andreas,
Glad you like the walk arounds.

Hopefully this shot will shed some light on things.

sauron
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Correction, actually the hulls are the same length but the suspension placement is different. Compare:

r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Correction, actually the hulls are the same length but the suspension placement is different. Compare:

I think they are the same. The suspension you are comparing is the off-set of the right to the left. If compared closely to the same side (Right to Right and Left to Left) they are identical.
Removed by original poster on 06/03/15 - 20:29:58 (GMT).
sauron
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think they are the same. The suspension you are comparing is the off-set of the right to the left. If compared closely to the same side (Right to Right and Left to Left) they are identical.

I see what you mean. But it is moulded in a darker grey plastic.....I'm pretty sure that's different.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hope the (M4 command vehicle convertion for MLRS) does not take as long as those M992's are.

HAHA
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I see what you mean. But it is moulded in a darker grey plastic.....I'm pretty sure that's different.

Agree!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, they are the same with a standard stagger due to torsion bar suspension.

Quoted Text

Hopefully this shot will shed some light on things.

Hey, that looks familiar!! Ft Hood; either 1-21 FA (my old unit) or 2-20 FA. Good ol' Motor Pool Rd.

Can't wait to see what is coming. Thanks Rob.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 06:03 AM UTC
The two hulls are the same and judging by the flash shown the mould is not as tight as once it was.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:28 AM UTC
But if you look at the pic. this is not a M270 or a M270A1. Look at the black exhaust pipe. That is a APU exhaust pipe. This is a M4 Command Vehicle.
accelr8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 156 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But if you look at the pic. this is not a M270 or a M270A1. Look at the black exhaust pipe. That is a APU exhaust pipe. This is a M4 Command Vehicle.

M270A1s are now equipped with or are being equipped with APUs

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a M4 Command Vehicle.

Really ?

The riveted rails (thanks Gino ) of the launcher are clearly visible in Robert's picture (which obviously shows another M270A1)...

H.P.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No it is an M270A1 with the new APU. The M4 C2V doesn't have the rocket pod rails and looks totally different. Also, there are no M4 C2Vs in the active force, if any left at all. They were only a test vehicle that the Army did not buy. I think only 4 prototypes were ever produced. 3 ID HQ had two during the initial invasion of Iraq. They were returned to the manufacturer shortly afterward.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry you're not happy with it. I did post several months ago that I would wait before getting that kit. There's always a reason behind that.

Thanks !!

I missed that post but got the message now (I think, hope, ... or something ....). I can wait, the stash will last until Armageddon cometh .... ;-)
/ Robin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:36 PM UTC
I just answered my own assumption above about M4 C2Vs not being around any more. I found this article about the last remaining M4 C2V being put out as a display at Ft Stewart in July '12. "Maximus" was one of 3 M4 C2vs (Zeus and El Cid being the other two) used by 3 ID during the invasion of Iraq and the only one not disassebled after they were not bought by the US Army.

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just answered my own assumption above about M4 C2Vs not being around any more. I found this article about the last remaining M4 C2V being put out as a display at Ft Stewart in July '12. "Maximus" was one of 3 M4 C2vs (Zeus and El Cid being the other two) used by 3 ID during the invasion of Iraq and the only one not disassebled after they were not bought by the US Army.

I assume that the article was very interesting since DoD definitely do NOT want me to read it

"
You have attempted to access a blocked website. Access to this website has been blocked for operational reasons by the DOD Enterprise-Level Protection System.

APPLICATION: qos-mission-critical-pan

Contact your local Network Control Center for information on how to gain access to MISSION ESSENTIAL or otherwise authorized websites, or to report a mis-categorized website.

Use the following links for additional guidance and procedures for requesting access to blocked content:

-Army users click here.

-Navy users click here.
"

/ Robin
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, I only wish you were right. I was tasked with finding the M4, which I was unable to do at no less than five active duty bases.
And just for fun, no, it's not an M270A1 either. You would need to see the rest of the walk around to know for sure.
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:12 PM UTC
http://www.army.mil/article/84236/Third_Infantry_Division_s__Maximus__takes_center_stage_at_Fort_Stewart/
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume that the article was very interesting since DoD definitely do NOT want me to read it

Not sure why you culdn't view it. It is an open-source document/website. I hope the above posted link works for you.

Quoted Text

Ah, I only wish you were right. I was tasked with finding the M4, which I was unable to do at no less than five active duty bases.

There you go Rob, Ft Stewart has one now.
 _GOTOTOP