_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bergepanther front hatch cover
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 09:56 PM UTC
I have just made a start on my Hobby boss Bergepanther with 2cm flak.I noticed that most Bergepanthers have their front transmission cover missing and you can see the drivers seat and gearbox,Did all Bergepanther have their transmission covers missing?
I suppose it makes sense as the crews need to get out and having no turret exit

If so that would mean I have to buy some frontal interior parts and would not need full interior that cost over £40

Thanks
Karl
AikinutPGH
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC
I have seen pictures of the later Bergepanthers with driver/radio operator hatch cover in place. The early ones w/o the winch were a basic Panther without a turret and a wooden hatch cover.

As a recovery person I would salvage a hatch cover for my vehicle to protect from air bursts and small arms fire. Being on an AA gun every little bit will help when the fights come looking for you.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 11:25 PM UTC
I don't the types with the square superstructure had the oprtion to fit the plate there. The two crewmen who sat in the transverse seats over the driveline would have nowhere for their heads if a plate were fitted.

Looking at the photos and Doyle's drawings in PT16 and PT5, I don't even think that the later Bergepanther had the holes for fitting the flange that would support it.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 01:49 AM UTC
I have found a CMK part interior set for Dragon panther do you think it will fit into the Hobby boss kit?

Thanks Jim/Robert for you comments
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:20 AM UTC
Sorry, no idea. I do have some Dragon Panther Gs though and the internal width of the lower hull is 49.7mm, so if your hull is no narrower, there is a reasonable chance that it would fit. There are obviously differences between the gun tank and the ARV (like the transverse crew seats and no ammo bins) but I have an idea that there were also changes in the driver's seat from D/A to G.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:34 AM UTC
Thanks Robert,I have just measured the lower hull and it is about the same as the Dragon just under 50mm.

Karl
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:58 AM UTC
Karl

I've just recently fitted that kit to a Bergepanther I'm building, and trust me, while it's one of the few available, it's not an easy kit to build.

If you want to know my real feelings about it, sorry, but they're not printable!

Regards
Rob
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl

I've just recently fitted that kit to a Bergepanther I'm building, and trust me, while it's one of the few available, it's not an easy kit to build.

If you want to know my real feelings about it, sorry, but they're not printable!

Regards
Rob

I guess your talking about the CMK kit not the bergepanther?
If so what problems did you encounter?

Karl
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:20 PM UTC
G'day Karl

Yes, the CMK kit. Instructions not very clear, very difficult to decide which part goes where, and quality of parts very average.

I ended up using a combination of this kit, the Verlinden upgrade set for the Italeri Bergepanther, and a bit of scratchbuilding.

Have fun!

Regards

Rob
 _GOTOTOP