Hosted by Darren Baker
tamiya 1/35 challanger 1 mk3
sabreuk
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:34 AM UTC
hey guys just started on this beast tonight, this is going to be a static display but will be parked next to mk 5 chieftain. this is the 2nd time I will have built the mk 3 same as the chieftain as the the last time I built either I was around 12 years old so im having another go with the all new skills ive built up over the passed 2 years since I got back in to modelling

heres the pics of the first mk3 chally I built all them years ago:

heres the new beasty:

corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:43 AM UTC
Have to say, this is one of my favorite builds. I have actually built this one twice as well.
sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:55 AM UTC
I love the challanger buddy I kinda grew up with it and this build is bringing back some happy child hood memory's
sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 08:52 PM UTC
well bit of update all the construction is done all the accessories such as the track tensioner bar shovel pick axe etc are painted up seperatley all the road wheels sprockets and idlers are painted ready to go on.

the actual chally is now in primer ready for the base coat of Vallejo 914 green ochre as I think the Tamiya xf59 is a little darker for the desert cam.

I never added the front armour as I have the chally 2 do after this build and that will have the front armour attached so because I wanted them to look different from each other is why I left it off.

sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 06:34 PM UTC
challenger mk3 update, well guys got the base colour down I used Vallejo 914 green ochre for the main colour, then added a drop of black for shadowing and a drop of white for highlighting, ive then drybrushed the whole vehicle with oily steel, ive done some detail painting on the tools and hatches etc. ive added the decals and then matt varnished the whole tank next up Is the washes and pigments.

minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 08:50 PM UTC
SabreUK,
Nice build on the Challenger, also a favorite modern tank of mine. Now I am waiting for the Takom Chieftain's.....

Carry On,
Stephen
sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 10:06 PM UTC
thanks Stephen, ive just finished the pin wash on the panel lines its starting to look used now got a few more washes to go yet
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:20 AM UTC
I love the Challenger. This is one fo my to do subjects. What paint did you use for your sand color?

Cheers, Nikos
sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 01:18 AM UTC
hi nikos I used Vallejo 914 green ochre for the sand colour which was the conversion from the Tamiya xf59 desert yellow.

I found the Vallejo colour is ever so slightly lighter the Tamiya offering which I think has turned out ok

the washes are via arbeitlung 501 starship filth for oil and grime, dark rust for the tracks medium rust for the overall mucky look and light rust used here and there like on the toe cables. ill upload the washed pics once I can pick the chally up from drying.

thanks craig
sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 03:08 AM UTC
another update, heres some pics of where I am at with the weathering.

sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 07:18 PM UTC
well todays effort so far is adding an extra antenna mount which was in the kit ive made a tarp for the front bucket and ive made an air id panel so those a10 boys don't confuse the chally for an Iraqi t55 :-/ next up is some stowage optics and tracks then dust pigments.

sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:45 AM UTC
well guys the mk3 is as good as finished just finishing the figures and this beasty is done, ive added more pigments for dust etc and ive finished the optics giving them that reflective green look which I think has turned out quite good. ive also put some ration boxes in the rear bin and im toying with another tarp for the back left bin however the overall tank is done

cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 02:32 PM UTC
that's really well done!
how did you do your green optics?
Terry
sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 05:29 PM UTC
hey buddy thanks for the comment appreciate it. as for the optics I base coated them with matt black then used green shimmering iridescent paint then I used formula 560 for the glass effect then another light coat of the shimmering iridescent paint.

the iridescent paint goes see through looking at them straight on so the optics look black but look at it from an angle and you see the green clearly sparkling away. almost same principal as a hologram on a bank card.

heres what I use, oh you can airbrush straight out the bottle but the paint is made from metal fileings so its quite abrasive to spray and can clog or grind your nozzle away, I just brush it on

and here is the other colours I have with I purchased to do the Aztec markings on a 350 enterprise 1701a refit and into darkness enterprise from star trek.

thanks craig
sabreuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 05:50 PM UTC
heres my chieftain mk5 with the red shimmering iridescent which I used for the ir spotlight ir headlights and optics.

_GOTOTOP