_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Thinning Tamiya X-22 Clear
hkopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 01:10 AM UTC
Can you thin Tamiya X-22 clear by using Tamiya's acrylic thinner? The reason is that I tried to airbrush X-22 but the AB had some difficulty with the thickness of the varnish.

Thanks in advance,

Hermann.
tayc
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
Can't be sure but I think lowering the pressure on the AB may be preferable to thinning. I am currently using Tamiya Semi-gloss Clear and had similar thoughts of thinning but resolved to reduce the air pressure instead which worked for me. The semi-gloss appears to have a similar viscosity to the gloss along with some type of matting agent. I found that low pressure with slow and even passes maintain a good wet coverage which is what I think you want when working with clear coats. Interested to see other comments as I am certainly not an AB expert.
hkopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 01:48 AM UTC
Thanks ...I'll give it a try.
pjmurley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 01:57 AM UTC
You can thin Tamiya Clear with the Tamiya acrylic thinner or isopropyl alcohol, which is much cheaper.
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 11:07 AM UTC
You can use X-20A thinner for the clear and that's what I do when I airbrush it on. I've never tried using non-thinned tamiya clears (clear, semi gloss, matte) when spraying
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 02:38 PM UTC
You can thin it with Tamiya Lacquer thinner too.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can thin Tamiya Clear with the Tamiya acrylic thinner or isopropyl alcohol, which is much cheaper.

Isopropyl alcohol is a bit tricky. Without retarder, it tends to dry, before it reaches the surface; causing a pebbled finish.
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 05:40 PM UTC
I thin X-22 with about 20% Tamiya thinner and lower the air pressure. I also have the tip just a few mm's from the model's surface as sometimes it can (seemingly) dry in mid air and cause a pebble like dry finish. Also, keep the flow fairly heavy as it's much thicker than paint (even thinned) and can struggle with very fine tipped ABs otherwise.

One tip, keep a cotton bud dipped in Cellulose (Lacquer -US) thinners to hand and frequently wipe the AB tip, as it also has a habit of collecting in this area due to the still 'gloopy' consistency ....then hitting the model unexpectedly with a sudden 'spatter' causing all manner of problems.

HTH
Gary
hkopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 10:14 PM UTC
Thank you all for the great advice.
 _GOTOTOP