_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill Training Tanks
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 08:27 PM UTC
In the Osprey book on the Churchill tank, a picture of a Mark I (the problem version) was depicted as a training tank. What about Mark III's, or did they all go to the front?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 09:02 PM UTC
Canada used Mk.I's, II's, and III's for training.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Canada used Mk.I's, II's, and III's for training.

Thanks. I had thought of a Mark III used for training, preferably in Britain. But I wouldn't know how they were marked, or how were they deployed. The Crusader book did show a couple of pictures with tanks going into an empty village in Britain.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks. I had thought of a Mark III used for training, preferably in Britain. But I wouldn't know how they were marked, or how were they deployed.

During the war, in units in the UK, training wasn't generally done by specific training units. Line units received new tanks and then trained with them as opposed to having specific training divisions, etc.

The Canadians of 1st Army Tank Brigade, ferinstance, received their Churchills as replacements for the Matilda's they had been using since receiving them after arrival in the UK. They trained with these Churchills (Mks I, II and III) until the time of Dieppe and then the Calgarys took their "training" tanks into battle. The Three Rivers and Ontario Regiments continued to train on their Churchills until they were replaced in 1943 with Shermans, which they trained on until shipped to Sicily and used them in action.

As such, the bulk of tanks used in "training" were used in line units and marked as such, There were some small training establishments of vehicles at the various schools where the very rawest of squaddies learned about tanks prior to being assigned to line units. If you want to depict these units knowledge of their markings are a tad thin on the ground. Some of our British friends may have more info on those school units.

HTH

Paul
 _GOTOTOP