_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger 2
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 08:32 AM UTC
Aloha everyone!!!

Can someone please inform me if the British Army has since discarded the flaps that hang from the side skirts on their Challenger 2's? The pictures I've seen so far don't show them on the up armored version.

Thank you in advance!!

cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 05:37 PM UTC
Kurt, I don't have an answer for you, however, I have the guy that can tell you everything that you could ever possibly want to know about all British military vehicles. He's a very good friend of mine and he's a member here on Armorama. His name is Keith F. and his call sign is Keef1648. Hope this helps.

Tony
barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 06:53 PM UTC
The dust flaps were added after Exercise Saif Serria (?) when dust knocked up by the tracks was clogging the air filters in the sandy conditions. They are not fitted if heavy dust isn't expected. They also get easily damaged hanging so low as they do.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi Kurt,

As Ian above said, if the vehicle is in a Central European type environment where realistically there is little chance of huge amounts of dust then the flaps are not fitted. I have only seen them in Iraq when I was there. Even the demonstrator Challenger 2's at ATDU in Bovington don't usually have them fitted.
 _GOTOTOP