_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
how to make roads ?????
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 01:18 AM UTC
I am making plans for a dio wich shows a scene in russia during the german campaigns there
In this dio I want to make a road that was once snow covered but after the drive-thrue of a couple of tanks, let`s say: 90 tanks, it`s completely ruined

could somebody help me out with this problem

I`m looking forward to any reply

greetz: Robert "FAUST" Blokker
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
Doing a dio on Russian soil....Is there anything else but mud than ???

How big will the damage be ? Is it a road that is damaged on the sides, or is it completely ruined ?
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi,

TMMI magazine May/June have an article about four Shermans.

One of them is over a muddy road with snow on the banks that looks fantastic; it's at Ardennes but most muddy roads look alike wherever they are.

Here at DOC's DIO you have an article of building a dio with a mud road.

Hope it helps.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
thanks for the url TUGA it will be quite usefull
And I know there was only mud in russia but what I want to achieve is the kind of mud that sticks on to your shoes and which you can`t get off so the walking gets heavier
and heavier and heavier and heavier and....
fill that in yourself

I really want a road that`s wet and that has seen 100 tanks passing by so the whole road is ruined to s#@* fill that in yourself too

greetz Robert "FAUST"Blokker
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC
Ive been watching a lot of old footage in shows recently, and everytime I see a convoy or a gathering of soldiers, there seems to be a lot of horses pulling assorted items. Why not have a scene where a vehicle or two is stuck or half buried in the mud and a few horses, men or vehicles are trying to pull them out. This would be an easy way to portray soft mud and also the road still being used.
I remember seeing a 1/72 dio where a WW1 truck is stuck in the mud and being pulled out by some oxen. Brilliant dio, but I cant remember where or by whom. Maybe somebody else remembers this? Thats what I imagine could show what you want.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
Well lieutenant Sarge
I like the picture sending idea

but I want to tell you the story about my diorama:
The diorama I`m planning now will be called: "Eis-Frei" (when I translate that it will be something like "Ice Free" and that means something like outside there is snow but you have to work so you can`t enjoy it, In Holland kids at school then get free to skate or throwing snowballs at each other) but back to the story

The diorama I want to make is a scene at the beginning of the winter in Russia Snow not really cold that you die immediately.....
Imagine : A little road not hardened just mud, snowy mud where just 100 tanks passed by and totally ruined the surface is a tank waiting, what kinda tank I don`t know at the moment probably a stug 3 or 4.
On the side of the road is an officer talking with some other officers and the crew of the tank.
they are planning their next moves.
On the side of the road is a small lake, It`s frozen On this frozen water are a couple of soldiers "playing" They are using the stop to throw snowballs at each other or gliding on the ice. At this moment they enjoy the winter while it was still Funny

This idyllic scene was what I had in thougt tell me what you think about it

Greetz Robert "FAUST" Blokker
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
Yeah I see what you mean! Same thing happens in sweden when in snows.
You didnt state in your first post about the ice skating etc. I thought you just wanted to portray a mucky road.

(Maybe thats why the soldiers are skating! Their vehicle is bogged in the muck and while waiting for towing help they skate a little. I cant see a German convoy marching into battle and stopping off for a skate on a frozen lake?)

You´d nearly think I was determined to get my idea across!

Just trying to be helpfull. I guess its just an easy way to show mud and soft roads.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC
The diorama idea you brought up is quite good I think i`m going to use that story it does make more sense

with that story I just have to make a slight modification in the original plan

And I`m looking forward to the picture you can send it to:
[email protected]

Greetz Robert "FAUST" Blokker :-) :-)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 07:18 AM UTC
Oh by the way

I`m starting on the diorama in two weeks thats enough time to get my workplace in order

And I`m planning to make photographs and an article from the whole proces wich I want to send to armorama

Greetz Robert "FAUST" Blokker :-) :-)
swampfox
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
Ah, Russian mud..one of the 2 worst enemies to the Germans, the other being the Russian winters. However, if the Germans had time, they would lay down a courderoy road in the worst places. This being chopping down some trees and laying down the logs onto the road for better traction
 _GOTOTOP