_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Tiger 1 with Interior? Accurate OOB?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 02:00 AM UTC
I'm trying to find out if the Academy 1/35 Early Tiger 1 is accurate out of the box. The interior seems to grab my attention. :-)
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
Hi. I think it all depends on how you define 'accuracy' here. Have heard both good things about it and bad things. I think it all boils down to the each modeler's viewpoint.

Personally speaking, I like it and think it's a-okay. But then I'm not a rivet countrer by any stretch of the imagination. I do most all my models OOTB with the addition of maybe a Jordio Rubio barrel, Fruilmodel tracks and intake screens (on German subjects). Now if you're doing it for show or a competition, things are probably different. Can't help you there.

I'm much satisfied with mine. Of course, I've only finished the turret and part of the hull and for whatever reason, it's gotten stuffed back into the box and been replaced by other models as time goes by. Why? Can't begin to say, for sure. I guess it's a case, at least for me, of too many subjects with too little time. But I think this is something that tends to plague all modelers anymore.

I do beleive there was an article, I think on Missing Lynx, some time back of a guy who did a complete and thoroughly accurate interior on one of these kits. And it may be worth checking into if you are looking for something more than an OOTB build.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC
Well, I just want to build this OOB with the exception of the tracks (I don't like indy tracks ). I just want to make sure if it has good details inside out.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 04:48 AM UTC
I think the early one is pretty close to the mark its the mid one people gripe about as they used the same interior as the 1st one but these people probally dont build much any way look at it from this point of view were will you get a full engine, interior indi links and mesh screens for the price they ask of the kit it's a bargain and come on once the hulls on how's going to see it anyway! only shonen change the jerry cans in the turret if your going to open it up the look a little large some italeri ones would be better
buy the kit mate keep you busy for a while
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:25 PM UTC
Hiya Shonen Red, I did the kit as well, and maybe it's not completely accurate.
But I had the same feeling as you did when I first saw the kit; It simply looks nice !!!
And in my opinion that's what it's all about...It's good to build sometimes just for the fun of it.

Enjoy you model !!!, John.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:34 PM UTC
There are only 3 glaring mistakes about Academy's Tiger I interior.
1. The shell bins in the kit are only 3 shells deep. Should be 4 shell in the sponson bins.
2. The kit is missing the support ribbing in the lower hull for the deck plates and other engine mounts. Not even noticeable anywhere but in the big hole where the turret sits. Note extra ammo was also stored in between these braces un der the turret in that area. these are easily made though with .010 plasticard. Also there many references with pics of this area so you should be fine if you choose to model the missing details.
3. This is the one most people will notice at JUDGING in competitions. The colors in the instruction are based off of research done at the Bovington Tank Museum in England. Thought they have a restored Tiger I its interior was painted to british standards for armour interiors for testing during the war. The museum at Samur France is currently restoring their Tiger I to running condition. A visit to their web site will alow you to get some rather nice pics of things like the engine and accurate colours for the interior.
Those are the most noted mistakes about the interior in Academy's kit. I most Note the only thing I change was the colours pianted on the interior. Also The lower half of the engine is simplified on because its not visible when the kit is finished. What is visble is spot on, but if you wish to display the engine being pulled out by a bilstein crane you may want replace kit engine with a resin one. This is what is going on on my Second Academy Tiger and the only reason I came across the lack of detail.
Sorry for the rant. This is a nice kit and its deserving of its praise. But hey you asked.
STUG
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi Shonen,

on missing lynx is an article on how to correct the mistakes this author found, though it is on for a mid-tiger... you can take it form there... This is the article

It indeed mentioned the ammo-bins (note that also the closed ones on the botto have two that are too short). When I start this Tiger, I think I'll use this guide...

Other reviews:

track-link review for early Tiger with interior

review on Panzermodellbau.de. For this review, click on "bauberichte", then "archiv", then scroll down. there is a review both in English and German. It is about halfway down the page.

Before I forget, I do not know for sure, but it might be that this Tiger has a symetrical turret, while the real thing did have an asymetrical turret.

Good luck...

Harm
 _GOTOTOP