_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
We don't surrender , understood ....
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hi all ,

it's summertime here so i have the same problem like many other fellow modelers , i can't continue with that other project of mine '' in the cold morning of.....'' because it's a winter scene . Ha so you guys have to be patient for the completion of that diorama , i'm sorry for that.

In the meantime allow me to introduce to you all my new small project which will be a Normandy scene. I'm gonna make a small diorama with a PAK 40 (German anti-tank gun)and its servants hidden in the hedgerows .

*The scenario or story ;
i was thinking about some wehrmacht soldiers caught up in a desperate fight with their PAK. At a certain moment during the fight two of them are killed and two others are wounded , the last one stands up with his hands in the air to surrender but the injured Feldwebel behind him draws his Luger pistol and yells at him '' we don't surrender , understood '' and this is also the title of the diorama.

* the figures and PAK 40
The gun is from ARV club 7,5 cm Pak40 Anti-Tank gun.

For the figures a complete other story , they are a mix of several Dragon upper-and lower bodies with several MB (Masterbox) upper-and lower bodies . What do i mean ? Simple , i've made combinations of Dragon upper bodies with legs from MB for example until i reached a complete figure. I've made several combinations and kept the five best of them. The feldwebel or NCO (sergeant Major)has a Hornet head .
Okay here they are,

The Feldwebel and his fallen comrade , they're almost finished.

The loader of the gun.Not finished yet.

The gunner , not finished.

The second loader ,killed, not finished .

The helmets and lots of the equipment are from a Dragon Gen2 kit.

Thanks for watching !

Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 06:17 AM UTC
I like the concept!! Looks like a very good start as well. I look forward to following this one buddy. Not much going on around here lately.
J
J
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi Kurt, I like the idea. The NCO with the luger cradling his dead comrade looks very effective. Don't forget to scrape off the moulding lines though as the NCO has a horrible one all the way down his leg. The dead blokelying on his front looks wrong to me. If someone is hit in the front they are propelled backwards by the impact so he wouldn't have fallen face down with his arms at his sides. I built a couple of dead SS and paras for my Arnhem dio and it's not too difficult to get them into realistic dead positions. First off I googled "dead soldiers" which although a bit macabre was very effective as there are hundreds of photos of military casualties so from that you get an idea of how bodies fall. Secondly out came the x-acto saw and amputations galore so I could get legs and arms into the right positions by pinning them then used Squadron green putty to fill in the voids etc. It's surprisingly easy and effective. Give it a try. Plus you end up with a completely unique figure. I like the way this is going so will follow this build with interest...Karl
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The dead bloke lying on his front looks wrong to me. If someone is hit in the front they are propelled backwards by the impact so he wouldn't have fallen face down with his arms at his sides.

It's a grisly subject, but it's one we sometimes have to deal with (I don't personally like to include casualties in my models, but to each his own).

This notion that bullet impacts propel you backwards is largely a creation of Hollywood filmmakers, who use a cable device called a ratchet pull to launch a stunt performer through the air when they are "shot." It's very dramatic, but in the real world, a bullet has exactly as much kinetic energy as the gun that fired it--if the recoil didn't launch the rifleman backward through the air, the bullet won't do that to the target's body, either. If a rifle bullet doesn't strike a bone or major nerve center, it will often drill right through and keep going, and the victim may not immediately realize he's been hit. If it does strike a bone, there is an impact, but it's often rotational, as the bullet rarely strikes the exact center of mass.

American war news footage is censored to protect public sensitivities, but I have seen foreign television news footage of actual people being shot, sometimes multiple times, and they simply unwind and collapse.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The dead bloke lying on his front looks wrong to me. If someone is hit in the front they are propelled backwards by the impact so he wouldn't have fallen face down with his arms at his sides.

It's a grisly subject, but it's one we sometimes have to deal with (I don't personally like to include casualties in my models, but to each his own).

This notion that bullet impacts propel you backwards is largely a creation of Hollywood filmmakers, who use a cable device called a ratchet pull to launch a stunt performer through the air when they are "shot." It's very dramatic, but in the real world, a bullet has exactly as much kinetic energy as the gun that fired it--if the recoil didn't launch the rifleman backward through the air, the bullet won't do that to the target's body, either. If a rifle bullet doesn't strike a bone or major nerve center, it will often drill right through and keep going, and the victim may not immediately realize he's been hit. If it does strike a bone, there is an impact, but it's often rotational, as the bullet rarely strikes the exact center of mass.

American war news footage is censored to protect public sensitivities, but I have seen foreign television news footage of actual people being shot, sometimes multiple times, and they simply unwind and collapse.

Absolutely correct!! Most folks getting shot just collapse in a heap. If they are running,the momentum pitches them a bit forward but not much. Head shots are different because of the large bone mass which usually snaps the head back but then...front again! The sad film of JFK getting shot illustrates that.
MOST things in a Hollywierd films are Bogus. But it is what we grew up with so.....
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 11:56 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies ,

- Jerry ,thanks again for the follow up i'm always glad to have you in my blogs brother and you right it's a little bit too quiet on this forum these days.

- Karl , welcome in my topic .

Quoted Text

Don't forget to scrape off the moulding lines though as the NCO has a horrible one all the way down his leg

Yes you're right and i'll see to it. Thanks for the eagle eye.

Quoted Text

The dead blokelying on his front looks wrong to me. If someone is hit in the front they are propelled backwards by the impact so he wouldn't have fallen face down with his arms at his sides. I built a couple of dead SS and paras for my Arnhem dio and it's not too difficult to get them into realistic dead positions. First off I googled "dead soldiers" which although a bit macabre was very effective as there are hundreds of photos of military casualties so from that you get an idea of how bodies fall. Secondly out came the x-acto saw and amputations galore so I could get legs and arms into the right positions by pinning them then used Squadron green putty to fill in the voids etc. It's surprisingly easy and effective. Give it a try. Plus you end up with a completely unique figure. I like the way this is going so will follow this build with interest...Karl

Okay , the dead soldier lying on his front is actually the one that prepares the ammunition . My idea is that he was hit and fell over on the legs of the gunner . So his head , arms and upper body lying higher than his legs. Something like this ..

Thanks for the tip concerning googling on the web for the feedback . Much appreciated .

- Gerald , i'm not a ballistic expert but if the bullet doesn't have enough energie to stop or knock out your adversary by immediate impact than this means that the bullet hasn't enough stopping power. That really happened during the second World War with the American M1 carabine .I've seen this on History Chanel i think .

But this is not my interest, my intention is to depict a dramatic scene between the Germans . A fanatic sergeant Major who was given the order to stand tall until the last man and a private who wants to surrender because he's completely demoralized.

Anyway thanks for the visit and your feedback Gerald.

Cheers ,

Kurt
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 05:57 AM UTC
Hi Kurt,

Glad to see you have a new project lined up and underway!
Now, I'm waiting to see the "Kurt-twist" on the build! What surprise will you "hit" us with? 😄😀

Cheers
Nick
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 07:36 PM UTC
Kurt, I see what you're doing now with the bloke that's dead lying across his mates legs. Nice idea. If you cut/sand the front of his neck at an angle, you'll find that his head tilts forward so you'll have his shoulders raised on the legs but his head will visually flop forward with gravity to improve his "dead" position. Will look more lifelike so to speak. Just a suggestion...Karl
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi guys ,

- Nick

Quoted Text

Glad to see you have a new project lined up and underway!
Now, I'm waiting to see the "Kurt-twist" on the build! What surprise will you "hit" us with?

I am glad to see you in my topic as well , euhm....about the Kurt-twist hehehehehe..... thanks for the compliment my friend . Well to be honest i really don't know , i have to find out while i'm building . Thanks for the visit and like always also for your very kind words.

-Karl , yes i know what you mean and it's a great idea too so i'll do it . In the meantime i was busy to scrape off the moulding lines.....well let's say ,i have still a bit work to do.

I'm also planning to add at least one British soldier to the scene but that's for later . I guess this will be the Kurt-twist ....
Thank you for the follow up and the interest Karl

Cheers

Kurt
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:49 AM UTC
No probs Kurt. I'm more of a figure modeller than vehicles so fully appreciate it when someone starts modifying figures to get an individual look/pose. Makes everything that bit more interesting. Rather than looking at a dio and thinking that figure comes fro DML set ???? etc, first you appreciate the work that's gone into the figure and then try to work out which kits have been used to build such an original figure...lol. It also makes me think more about what I can do with my abbatoir of bits to create more natural poses .
Of about 40 figures I used in my Arnhem dio ther was only about 4 that were OOB and then I changed heads, equipment etc. Makes it your figure
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:55 AM UTC
These are a couple of the casualties I kit bashed for Arnhem..

Do you see what I mean about the cutting and pinning. One of the things I did find really helpful was after I'd drilled , pinned and glued the limb in place, you can still bend the pin in any direction so it enables you to "pose" the figure as if it's got bendy limbs. Try it on an old figure and see how you get on. If not for this dio but for a future one. It's surprising how easy it is.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 12:02 PM UTC
This is a really useful site which I use all the time now for German equipment. It shows all the personal equipment (originals) in colour and in detail. I've learnt loads from it in relation to colours of kit, how stuff fits together etc. I was really surprised at how much variation there is in colours of something as mundane as mess tins as this guy shows early, mid, late war items and changes on all sorts. With the new Gen 2 kit you can really go to town. I've not tried the Gen 2 stuff yet but I bought a collection a couple of weeks back and there's loads of Gen 2 sets so I'll be experimenting...lol
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 12:03 PM UTC
Helps if I put the link in...Doh

http://www.mp44.nl/main_index.htm

RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:57 PM UTC
Kurt, just an observation but you have not removed the Mold lines from your figures....I notice the lines mostly in the pants of your figures. Bit of a shave back and they will look good (unless they just ironed their uniforms before going out to man the gun)....lol
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi guys thanks for the replies ,

- Karl , i have looked at the pictures of your Arnhem diorama in your gallery. First i like the rubble in the scene , it actually works for me . You are an excellent builder .

But in the pictures that you showed i see that the blood and the berets having the same color , i mean the same reddish color tone. It's better to use a mix of red and a little bit black oil paint to simulate blood or bleeding . The fallen soldier looks convincing to me , so great job ! Thanks for the link and the time you've spend for giving me feedback.

- Jason , welcome in my topic mate and thanks for your criticism. About the Mold lines........oh boy i have some work to do .

Cheers ,

Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi all ,

smallish update , i've spent my time on removing mold lines and most of them are really gone.

I have two figures to show you and they are almost done. It's the wounded gunner and the loader who has been killed . When i took the pictures of those two figures ,i was pretty impressed about the hardness of the scene , but that's just my interpretation of a battle scene during WWO 2.

Okay , the photos

Thanks for watching !

Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 05:22 AM UTC
Good action scene. Nice poses!
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good action scene. Nice poses!
J

Thanks buddy for your support , much appreciated (as always )

To all,
the figures are almost done , just a few details need to be done .

Thanks ,

Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hi all ,

I'm back with some more pictures to show . Earlier in this thread i've mentioned that i was considering to add British infantry in the scene , so i've assembled three soldiers . One Bren-gunner than the loader next to him and a corporal who yells to open fire... the heads (all three of them) are from Hornet with the original helmets from Dragon .
First the three photos that i forgot to show on the previous post.
Please have a look ,

And now the three British figures in progress...

Thanks for having a look !

Kurt
 _GOTOTOP