_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Newbie question about sdkfzz 232 6rad paint
Mysko12
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:04 PM UTC
Hello all !

I nearly finished my first kit, the italeri n°6433, a sdkfz 232 6 rad. It was a pleasure to mount it, even if some parts wouldn't fit at all.

So, now that i am at the end of the mounting part, the moment I fear the most is coming : the painting.

At least it don't have any camo, it's all panzer grey. But after having painted it in black, do I have to simply paint it in panzer grey ? How would be the result ? Or have I to simulate natural light ? Isn't it too hard for a beginner doing his first kit ?

That's the questions I have for the moment, more may come after

I'm counting on you guys to help me doing a decent kit

Thanks
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:29 PM UTC
Personally, I spray the entire model with a coat of pale top coat. Then, I paint some hatches and panels with varying shades of the top coat. Avoid spraying panel lines, as this looks unrealistic. Once you have done this, apply the top coat in thin layers. You can build up paint on some areas to further enhance the effect of weathering. Of course, this only applies to vehicles that have been in the field for some time. You will notice that it does not apply to most modern armor. You may want to practice on a test model, first. Hope this helps.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all !

I nearly finished my first kit, the italeri n°6433, a sdkfz 232 6 rad. It was a pleasure to mount it, even if some parts wouldn't fit at all.

So, now that i am at the end of the mounting part, the moment I fear the most is coming : the painting.

At least it don't have any camo, it's all panzer grey. But after having painted it in black, do I have to simply paint it in panzer grey ? How would be the result ? Or have I to simulate natural light ? Isn't it too hard for a beginner doing his first kit ?

That's the questions I have for the moment, more may come after

I'm counting on you guys to help me doing a decent kit

Thanks

For the campaigns of 1939-40, the vehicle would be two-thirds Dark Gray, one-third Dark Brown. Overall gray wasn't officially mandated until just after the French campaign (in time for the Balkans operation), or just about the time when the six wheelers were retired (they were very underpowered, and therefore road-bound).

The brown was quite dark, not like the red-brown introduced in 1943. Tonally, it is almost identical or just slightly darker than the gray, so it is very hard to distinguish in black and white photos.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 03:50 AM UTC
Nicolas, I think the Italeri kit box shows three colour schemes, all overall grey. Perhaps this is OK, as Gerald says, it is very hard to distinguish the color in photos, and some of these vehicles might have been all grey. If you want to paint the quite interesting camouflage Gerald refers to, may I suggest you look at this review where I painted a model in the grey and brown, so look at the last photos on the page:
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/8217
For now, anyway, perhaps you should start by just painting the model, the body, the wheels and the tyres, then if it goes well, come back and we can look at weathering, shading and so on. What kind of paint are you planning to use?
Mysko12
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 06:58 PM UTC
Hey !!

Thanks for your answers !
For the moment, I just sprayed it in black, because I already had a black warhammer spray bottle from my brother !

Quoted Text

For the campaigns of 1939-40, the vehicle would be two-thirds Dark Gray, one-third Dark Brown

I decided to make the one from the campaign of France with the big letter "G" near the front right wheel. It's the one from the box art, so it's all grey I guess

Quoted Text

What kind of paint are you planning to use?

I will use tamiya acrylic paints, i don't remember the ref, but it's grey panzer, flat black, gun metal ... The basic ones

I will post some pictures of my paint to help you helping me
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC
As Gerald said, in the 1940 French campaign it would be 2/3 Dunkelgrau and 1/3 Dunkelbraun. They are very similar in tone so only tend to show up in glass plate photos taken at the factory. Under a coat of dust and on 35mm film, the difference is hard to detect but overall Dunkelgrau was not ordered until July 1940.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 11:33 PM UTC
Can be seen quite easily here:

_GOTOTOP