_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
GAZ-67B under recontruction
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
Here's a Tamiya GAZ-67B that I'm redoing. To be honest, I never really finished it. I decided to add some rivets, hood hold downs, etc. If your interested, there is some build information here on my website.

Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC
Looking good so far...continue the good work! Are the Tires done with pastels or enamel wash?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
Howdy PC,

Your GAZ is looking good. I especially enjoy the nice paint chipping appearance. Are you done with the wheel weathering?

Tread.

BTW, this thing is just crying out for some figs!
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:34 AM UTC
Wheels haven't really been started yet. I have some additional weathering to do yet as well, inlcuding a wash to key areas, a filter, dusting, and of course, the tires.

Plan to build the figures with the kit as well and place it on a small base. I was thinking of doing a dark mud, but not so sure I really want to do that.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:36 PM UTC
Howdy PC,

What's your setting?

Tread.

(my apologies, I always think in terms of dio ).
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 02:18 PM UTC
Not sure. It might be less of a diorama and more of just a vehicle with some figures on a base. Something similar to Steve Zaloga's stuff, in which he just adds a figure or two.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 02:28 PM UTC
Looks like superb work Mark. Only hope mine turns out half as good. I picked up the Armo postwar conversion set for mine. Comes with a new radiator, grill, radios, bunch of PE fittings by Part. No engine though. Can't wait to see yours as part of a dio.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:04 PM UTC
Howdy pc,

I didn't mean to imply you were building a dio (although from your short description it sounds like you are, in fact , building a 'vignette'). What I meant to say is, that no matter what I'm building, whether it's a single vehicle, grouping, or whatever, I always think of the build-up in terms of a dio. Reason being is, it helps me enormously in regards to my knowing precisely what colour it will be painted, what kind of weathering it will wear, what the figs will be armed with, surrounding vegetation, road surface, camo inclusion, etc, etc.
It's a very good practice to get into whether you're building a dio, a vignette, or a single fig. :-)

Tread.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:51 PM UTC
In my Christmas massive shop attack i found this one and bought it

so if you have any info on building it (pictures , reference ) could be helpful.
by the way you have done nice work till this stage
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:23 AM UTC
I couldn't find much for reference. The only how to I could find was this one, which is in japanese:

http://matte.where-i.net/GAZ67B/GAZ67BMake.htm
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In my Christmas massive shop attack i found this one and bought it

so if you have any info on building it (pictures , reference ) could be helpful.
by the way you have done nice work till this stage

Run, run away from this kit! I picked one up when Squadron had them for $2.99 one month. Very poor rendition of the GAZ-67. The AER logo is boldly molded onto the rear portion of the floor and must be removed. My kit did not include any clear parts and locating features on parts is non-existant. Still, I guess one could build it into a decent kt, but it pales in comparison to the older Tamiya kit.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"......Run, run away from this kit! ....."

LOL, lol......good one Rob!

Tread.
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:25 AM UTC
I've generally learned to run from AER period.

As for the lack of glass, you could always just do what I did and fold the window down and throw a tarp over it.

I wish all vendors would put pictures of teh actual built up model on the boxes, at least on the sides. I can't remember how many kits I probably wouldn't have bought if they had, which is of course, the reason they don't. I mean, looking at the AER box top, I would love a GAZ with articulating suspension, which we know it wont do.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC
The glass for the vehicle windshield would be no problem since it would just be a flat, rectangular piece of styrene to fit into the frame. The headlights were missing, and this kit is not worth the cost of MV lenses.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 06:28 AM UTC
Looks real nice Mark! Love the paint chipping! Fot its age, that Tamiya kit is pretty good! I'm not into counting the bolts etc, but I do recall having a great time with that kit a number of years ago.

Enjoy finishing this one off! Hey, I'd love to see it completed too!
 _GOTOTOP