_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
German Mercedes benz
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:34 AM UTC
The German Mercedes benz's in World War Two were supposedly primered with a different color than the red oxide primer . Anybody know what that color is ?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:45 AM UTC
German auto industries in the 1930's often used a black primer and enamel coat on car and truck frames - and this may also have been used on the stamped and formed sheet-metal of car bodies. So, if you are thinking of an MB car or truck during the war... probably black frame members and maybe black under a shallow chip or scrape on the body.

Of course you could consider that a car or truck built and put into service earlier in the war would have been painted the standard dunkelgrau - and later repainted as dunkelgelb came into regulation use from Mar 1943. So a later-war survivor could exhibit chipping and scrapes to reveal earlier dunkelgrau base-coats.

Bob
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 10:41 AM UTC
Early in the war . The MB radio car . Did the Mercedes Benz , the civilian cars get the same primer ?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:26 AM UTC
I know that Daimler used Zinc Oxide primer, which was the classic light grey primer color.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 07:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know that Daimler used Zinc Oxide primer, which was the classic light grey primer color.

. That's what some people had said to me . They though it was a gray color . I think I will use the gray primer . Thanks for the replies , appreciate that .
 _GOTOTOP