_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need some links to aftermarket parts for drag
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:09 PM UTC
I just got this model, Dragon M1A1 with Mine Plough, and was looking for some aftermarkets parts like treads, a metal barrel, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have never done much sprucing up of a kit and really want to make a show stopper.

box arthttp://res.luckymodel.com/img/000000012252.jpg

some stuff i painted http://therealaxlrose.imgur.com/

Thanks for the help in advance
zedhol
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:24 PM UTC
Here is a listing of most of the stuff that is available for a 1/35 Abrams. If you click on each item, there are usually stores who offer the item for sale right now. Alternatively, pick what you want then copy and paste the details and google away. Note some of the items listed are for other M1 kits, so you may wish to pick the right one, though some will work for all kits.

http://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=Kits&q=M1+Abrams

Personally I would go with AFV Club, Bronco or Trumpeter track and an RB Model barrel. If you want PE, Voyager or ET Model, and stowage from Legend.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/141455-dragon-3516-m1a1-w-mine-plough

being that it's an older kit, there isn't likely a dedicated photo etch set for it other maybe from Eduard which could be tricky to find.

Sean
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC
wow thanks so much for the quick feedback. I am researching now and hopefully post a blog build of it.

thanks
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:31 PM UTC
Thee is a bunch of stuff for Abrams upgrades. You can go to eBay and search for 1/35 M1A1 and you will find pages of stuff.

If you just want track and a barrel, here are a couple options.

For track, get the AFV Club T158 indi-link set. They go together easily and look great.

For an M256 120mm barrel, both Voyager and Orange Hobby make one in metal, both for about the same price. I don't know which is better.

Voyager

Orange Hobby

For PE sets, there are too many to list. Eduard gives a couple basic sets, while Voyager goes nuts on the details. It depends on how much you want to add.

The older Dragon kits are pretty good and don't need a whole lot to make them really nice. Some careful assembly and a good paint job and they can look great w/out any added AM stuff.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC
For the track, check out what's coming from Live Resin. Truly great looking with worn and gouged track pads Scheduled for summer release. Save your money and get those instead of the ones from AFV Club.
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:48 PM UTC
Well i was thinking that i might get some new tracks because i never did aftermarket ones before. The photo etch seems nice as well and i could always use it to kit bash stuff for my wargames.

I wasnt sure so sure if i needed the metal barrel. Do the metal metals offer anything so significantly better that what comes in the box?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC
In my opinion, no. There are a few cases where you might need to add some bolts heads to a bore evacuator as they can't easily be molded on. I find that metal barrels are GENERALLY not worth the price, especially if you have a modicum of modeling skills. I highly recommend instead you get a Flex-i-File to sand the barrel seams. Even that's not really necessary although it makes cleanup a little easier.
The barrel halves are usually the first pieces I cement together when I open a kit. That way, when you get to the point where you need to work on it, the joint is already cured and ready for sanding. Done right, you usually don't even need putty. (I often cut the locating pins off. More often than not they're part of the problem.)
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC
main advantage of turned barrels are no seams to clean up and generally crisper details . Additionally, the machinery typically used to make them allows for the addition of details that usually aren't well done on a kit part such as radial holes or holes/slots in cooling jackets and the like.

Sean
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wasnt sure so sure if i needed the metal barrel. Do the metal metals offer anything so significantly better that what comes in the box?

In my opinion, no. I don't mind sanding the plastic ones smooth and using them. Others feel differently. I generally do the same as Rob above.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
Assemble and primer the barrel after that you can make the decision to use it or get a metal barrel .
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:52 PM UTC
"some stuff i painted http://therealaxlrose.imgur.com/ "

those paint jobs look great Stephen, looking forward to seeing what you do with this kit!

Sean
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:12 PM UTC
I usually deal with the kit barrel, and only reach for the wallet if the plastic is too bananerized to be rescued. (I can always sort out missing bolts etc after I sand down the seams.) Sadly, warpage is all too common in kit barrels...
The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 04:19 AM UTC
A couple links....

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/232070&ord=&page=1

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/427681

http://vodnik.net/pages/m1-comparison/m1comp1.htm

http://blog.naver.com/cw2009

~
mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In my opinion, no. I don't mind sanding the plastic ones smooth and using them. Others feel differently. I generally do the same as Rob above.

I'm with Rob and Gino. I bought these on EBay after I saw an build by Paul Budzik(hes a dentist) and used matrix bands and clamps,works great.

Mike
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 07:18 PM UTC
wow everyone thanks so much for the info. I am getting the tracks and the photoetch. The barrel i will wait on. All the links were super helpful.

Looking at the tracks that came with the kit, there are 2 injection marks on each link. It looks like it would be a pain to get smooth so hopefully the aftermarket tracks will be better.

The super detailed interior was awesome. Was that a kit or just all scratchbuilt. It looked amazing

edit:
would this be appropriate for a mine plough abrams
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Dog-1-72-M1A1-Abrams-Iraq-War-Accessories-Set-for-Dragon-kit-7213-T72003-/180872191691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1cd29ecb
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The super detailed interior was awesome. Was that a kit or just all scratchbuilt. It looked amazing

Not sure which one you are referring to, but there is no kit or AM interior for Abrams. Your Dragon kit has a partial interior (driver's area and upper turret interior, gray parts in below pic) that are pretty good. I have used it as a base for a full interior a couple times.

No, that set is in 1/72 scale. Legend makes a couple good 1/35 stowage sets for Abrams though.
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 11:45 PM UTC
awesome thanks
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi there

You can't go wrong with the AFV club tracks for this one and the legend stowage set gives you all and more that you may want to add to this beast maybe a simple Pe update set for this one would carry it a long way without going overboard from some of the stuff you have painted before you will have a nice looking build by the time your done.

Cheers Ben.
 _GOTOTOP