_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Meng T-10M sprues
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 05:53 PM UTC
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3831154483 They look great although I miss the upturned snout on the ancient Tamiya T-10/JS III kit.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 06:11 PM UTC
I received the kit on Saturday straight from HK, looks great in the box.

KeroJP8
Visit this Community
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hey guys,

This is just awesome !!!!!!!!!!!

Never seen such a cast rendering.

She's a beauty (well, by USSR beauty standards, course)

Richard
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:20 PM UTC
got mine yesterday looks great but no metal barrel
dave
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:32 PM UTC
I am sure RB will have one out shortly...I will pick it up asap. Also it appears that the Trumpeter kit also is sans turned barrel. There kit price is lower then the Meng offering, at least it is on Hobbyeasy's website.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 02:53 AM UTC
The Trumpeter kit seems to bring -again, as in their T-72 and T-90 kits- more PE than Meng's counterpart, but as in the mentioned kits, I'm not so sure if all that PE parts are really needed or are a shortage in plastic molding capabilities compared to Meng...

Don't misunderstand me, I'm a Trumpeter fan and love their T-72/90's kits, but it seems that Meng had been able to mold a lot of details directly on the plastic while Trumpeter forces you to deal with tiny PE parts.
In the case of the T-10, the molded parts from Meng seem awsome and to the same level of detail than Trumpy PE parts, making them unnecesary...
I already ordered mine today from Luckymodel.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Trumpeter kit seems to bring -again, as in their T-72 and T-90 kits- more PE than Meng's counterpart, but as in the mentioned kits, I'm not so sure if all that PE parts are really needed or are a shortage in plastic molding capabilities compared to Meng...

Don't misunderstand me, I'm a Trumpeter fan and love their T-72/90's kits, but it seems that Meng had been able to mold a lot of details directly on the plastic while Trumpeter forces you to deal with tiny PE parts.

I suspect it isn't a lack of capability rather an appeal to some modeler's belief that PE is always better than plastic, and more PE makes it better still. For evidence of this, simply look at the gigantic PE sets available today.

KL
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I suspect it isn't a lack of capability rather an appeal to some modeler's belief that PE is always better than plastic, and more PE makes it better still. For evidence of this, simply look at the gigantic PE sets available today.

KL

I think you have a solid point here, Kurt
There IS a trend believing that you must replace every single tiny part of a kit with PE.
A lot of times I felt that the majority of some PE sets parts -not only the big "V" ones, but for me usually happens with them- are redundant, and ended using only a few parts and keeping the kits plastic details insetad.

In this particular case, as said before, Meng's details seemed better to me than Trumpeter's PE counterparts...
Still have to build Meng's T-90A to see if Trumpy's infinite tiny PE discs for the turret anti-radiation armor are worth the effort, just to give another example.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:07 PM UTC
Trumpeter's strategy is an elegant one: Include more PE so that the "work" on the completed model, sans paint, can be oohed and ahed on other sites, thus creating a "need" to have that particular kit.

Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

I think you have a solid point here, Kurt
There IS a trend believing that you must replace every single tiny part of a kit with PE.
A lot of times I felt that the majority of some PE sets parts -not only the big "V" ones, but for me usually happens with them- are redundant, and ended using only a few parts and keeping the kits plastic details insetad.

In this particular case, as said before, Meng's details seemed better to me than Trumpeter's PE counterparts...
Still have to build Meng's T-90A to see if Trumpy's infinite tiny PE discs for the turret anti-radiation armor are worth the effort, just to give another example.

Your comment is quite logical but I still doubt that. It is better to show us a pic of compare between the turret of T-90A of both brands with specific detail(bolts, PE parts compare, sharpness,etc) Pic is more convicing
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 06:09 AM UTC
I'm not trying to convince anyone
Talking about the T-10M, I chose Meng's one because to my eyes it looked better overall.

And as I said before, I did not build their T-90 yet, so cannot compare it directly against Trumpeter's.
Anyway, there are a number of build-logs of both kits if someone wants to see pics and make his own decission about which one to pick...
 _GOTOTOP