_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Atomic Cannon Father/Son Build
Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

Wanted to share the build of this monster cannon model that my son and I have agreed to build together. This is the 1/32 scale kit that Revell reissued of the Renwall original and it is huge!
The history of this project is that while my son and I were at Armorcon 2013 a very generous fellow modeler who had just won this gigantic model in the big raffle gave it to my son. He was elated and wanted to tackle it by himself immediately. Well, he's 9 years old and so we agreed we split the kit up where I'd work on the cannon and he would do the transporters and figs. So, our goal is to have fun, git r done and hopefully have it to show on the display table at some up coming shows.

Here are some IP photos, the cannon is my work the truck my son is working on. We are just going for an out of the box approach and I am resisting all my instincts to correct or add scratch build anything. We agreed this is just for fun.

photo AtomicCan_IP1_zpsqjos1105.jpg

photo AtomicCan_IP3_zpsxyjtetrf.jpg

photo AtomicCan_IP2_zpsryrqsvju.jpg

It is such an old school kit, nearly all the pieces have their part number on a separate attached disk, or printed on the part.
And because of that one of the bigger challenges is finding the part on the multiple gigantic sprues, esp when it is tiny!
All in all so far it is building up quite well and we determined to get it done this summer.

bwiber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:15 AM UTC
Looking good..... Believe me, once you start correcting things you will be in for a long build. Mine is rapidly approaching its third year and thankfully is about finished.

The cannon is fun, but I really loved the front transporter...

Have a good build, and enjoy the beast...
Bob
alchemymike
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 10:28 AM UTC
built one a few years back and it goes together well.. very good kit considering the age of the beast 50 years or so... and to date me I had one of these when they sold for a whopping $5....
Very impressive when finished
Mike
Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 06:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback Mike and Bob. It really is the biggest model I've ever tried in size, but the part count makes it do-able. My son and I are wondering whether we should display it loaded up or in position to fire, any opinions?
Also, I was thinking of trying to get a set of airfix US Army multi-purpose 1/32 figs to replace the crew it came with, any other alternatives you guys would recommend?

Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 11:07 PM UTC
So after a computer crash and rebuilt hard drive I finally got some photos uploaded to show our current status.

We are really loving the vellejo model air modulation set for US Army Olive Drab. We are still early days on the painting but the assembly is coming together without too much hassel. My son has added some texture to the seats with the tissue/glue technique and we have found some nice string to use as the tow cable for the winch. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll have the cannon built and then help my son with finishing up the trucks.

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:13 AM UTC
Very happy to see you and your son working together.
I got hooked,not realizing at the time,helping with my fathers HO train layout.
My daughter is always a great help when she comes to my workbench and either says why is this ? or this looks real.
Looking forward to your guys progress.I have been considering getting it.I remember the kit from when I was a kid.

Tom
sounder
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 01:32 AM UTC
looking forward to seeing more on this build looks great so far
Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
Thanks Mike and Tom!
My son loves starting new projects before finishing the previous ones (like most of us), so part of the challenge is getting through the "boring/frustrating" parts of the build and keep it going fwd.
I have been working out the seam along the barrel, a very long multi-sectional barrel and that has been my boring/frustrating bit for now.
I'll get some more pics out later this week of how that turned out. Overall it's pretty amazing quality for the time period it came from, apart from the figures of course.
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:44 PM UTC
HEY Chris thanks for the shoutout for me giving you this kit. I had NO use for it. Hope you and your son are enjoying it. Hope to see you next month. Wish you'd come to some meetings. Hope all is well. Jim
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:55 PM UTC
Nice build guys.
I built one of those last year and yes, it is very basic and old school. But at the better part of a yard/meter it has quite the presence. Hope you have the shelf space for it!!
Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 07:15 PM UTC
Hi Jim! Thanks. We are so glad to have such a big but easy to build project to work on together, it's a fun collaboration.
Yeah, I plan to make Armorcon and hopefully will have some pieces to submit. I really have been trying to get with the you guys, but family commitments have kept me away.
Thanks J Poitras, I was planning to cut a nice long board to mount the pieces on, some simple ground work but we haven't decided if it's gonna be in tow or deployed mode. My son has a nice space on top of his desk/shelves unit where it can live outta harms way.
 _GOTOTOP