_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Most autoratative book on...
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:24 AM UTC
The T-34, with the caveat that it's in english? Something that's technical with nice drawings, cutaways, etc.? What comes to mind?
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC
I would suggest t-34, the mythical weapon. It has nice drawings and a lot of history. I had an impression, that the book had a negative outlook on the whole tank, I am unsure how close this opinion is to reality.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 04:12 AM UTC
It does have a bias.
dsfraser
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It does have a bias.

Just a bit! According to the (Polish) authors, the T-34 was the worst tank ever made. They go out of their way at every opportunity to demonstrate how this could be, to the point of absurdity, which detracts considerably from the book. There are also numerous errors in the captions and some of the drawings are wrong, although the selection of pictures is excellent. Buy it for the photos and drawings, but ignore the text. I'd rate it a solid 4 out of 10.

The best single English-language book is from Ian Allen, entitled simply T-34 by Mikhail Baryatinsky. It is slim and not as profusely illustrated as the Polish book, but has an excellent short history of the development and production of the T-34-76.

Regards
Scott Fraser
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 09:17 PM UTC
Main problem with this book is that it is out of print, and considering that used copies are for sale at silly prices, like £200, the lack of a new imprint from the publisher is nothing short of bizarre. They even a statement on their site warning people not to download pirated copies... So whether a new print run is in the offing, or they're waiting for it to be revised, is not clear.
It certainly could do with some revision, correcting some technical errors apparently, but also to improve the way it's written, as some parts do not read well and it is perhaps not structured and ordered as well as it could be. There are a few quite cringe inducing parts, the inclusion of some questionable photos and some poorly written and entirely speculative captions on a few of them.
But why it is out of print is anyone's guess, as it is a useful and in demand book.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It does have a bias.

Just a bit! According to the (Polish) authors, the T-34 was the worst tank ever made. They go out of their way at every opportunity to demonstrate how this could be, to the point of absurdity, which detracts considerably from the book. There are also numerous errors in the captions and some of the drawings are wrong, although the selection of pictures is excellent. Buy it for the photos and drawings, but ignore the text. I'd rate it a solid 4 out of 10.

This is why I never bought the English edition as I already had the two volumes Polish hardcover, which has the photos and the drawings, and which I bought cheaply but that was a long time ago.

Cheers,

Christophe
 _GOTOTOP